The Corporate Director of Internal Audit has overall responsibility for the global internal audit function and integration into the company’s risk management processes. The Director will work closely with other compliance and oversight functions to ensure roles, responsibilities, and results are well coordinated. The Director will collectively optimizing the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance. Under the Director's leadership, the internal audit function will partner with business leaders to drive business process improvements in addition to compliance activities. The Director will work closely with the executive management team, audit committee and the Berkshire Hathaway Internal Audit Director to identify, assess and mitigate significant business risks facing the company.
Key Job Accountabilities
- Lead Internal Audit’s annual risk assessment and planning process to develop the annual audit plan and ensure the plan is responsive to, and aligned with, the risk profile of the organization.
- Oversee the execution of audits ensuring the highest level of quality and satisfaction.
- Issue timely Internal Auditreports that are clear, concise, identify root causes with practical solutions and provide value to management.
- Meet regularly with the Audit Committee to report the status of Internal Audit’s ongoing monitoring activities. Inform the Committee of emerging risks that should be considered.
- Serve as a “thought leader” with respect to process improvement, risk management and internal control best practices.
- Proactively inform senior management of significant risks or exposures related to internal controls, compliance, and/or governance requiring prompt attention.
- Partner with business leaders to identify innovative ways Internal Audit can help improve business processes as well as cost savings and cost avoidance.
- Manage the process to track, follow-up, and close open audits.
- Lead and manage a team of high-performing, co-sourced professionals who possess outstanding knowledge, skills, experience, ethics, and integrity.
- Ensure audits are performed in accordance with established professional standards and remain abreast of emerging trends and best practices that can be incorporated into the function.
- Maintain the audittechnology platform leveraging support from the information systems group as needed.
- Coordinate the activities of external auditors including how best to leverage Internal Audit work performed to reduce external audit fees.
- An undergraduatedegree in Accounting or a related business discipline is required. Graduate education such as Masters in Accounting or Business Administration is considered a plus.
- An active professional certification in public accounting or internal auditing is desired (i.e., CPA, CIA, CISA, etc.).
- A well-seasoned business executive who brings broad business acumen in a manufacturing environment.
- Proven experience leading large audit teams in a public accounting and/or internal auditdepartment of a large, complex organization.
- Proven experience building strong relationships with Audit Committees, executive management, regulators, external auditors, and other key stakeholders.
- Proven experience with successfully directing and implementing change initiatives despite potential resource constraints, competing priorities, or other challenges.
- Excellent business and communication skills with the ability to focus on the big picture, understand key priorities, communicate clearly and concisely, and bring a business perspective to leading the Internal Audit function.
- Strong technical accounting, business, and auditing background ideally with substantial experience gained in the manufacturing industry.
- Ability to work effectively with leaders of other oversight functions (i.e., Compliance, Risk Management) in coordinating efforts.
- Minimum 10 years of broad business experience including at least 5 years in a managerial capacity in external or internal audit.
Req ID: 32701