As an Application Scientist, you will provide technical expertise and lead the development and implementation of new grape specialty products, as well as exploring tools to maintain and or enhance wine quality. You will be charged with managing workflow and maintaining regular communication with R&D and Polyphenolics leadership, as well as work directly with customers for product formulations and host customer visits and auditors. You will also conduct applied research in the development of new grape specialty products consistent with key business objectives and improve wine quality.
- Support the advanced analytical needs of current Polyphenolics’grape extract products
- Conduct testing and experiments to maintain and improve quality of product and or production processes.
- Maintain accurate laboratory notebooks.
- Maintain GLP, GMP and SQF requirements for Polyphenolics and Concentrate specialty divisions of Constellation Brands Inc. (CBI).
- Conduct various basic and advanced chemical analyses on grape, juice, wine, spirits, adjuncts and/or other grape derived products (e.g., grape seed extracts), as required by various internal customers.
- Identify, adopt, develop, validate and implement new analytical methodologies.
- Serve as a chemistry and technical resource for R&D and the Polyphenolics and Concentrate specialty divisions of CBI.
- Design and conduct applied research in the important area of polyphenolic chemistry of grapes, wine and nutritional co-products in support of key business directives.
- Conduct applied research in the adaption and development of adjuncts or techniques to maintain or improve wine quality through the utilization of various bench and pilot scale processes and techniques.
- Attend key technical and professional conferences to keep abreast of new advances and communicate with technical, academic and industry peers, as well as workshops and trainings to further develop analytical skill sets.
- Represent Polyphenolics at various trade shows.
- Participate in coordination of annual service contracts and preventative maintenance scheduling for the advanced instrumentation inventory.
- Maintain, diagnose and troubleshoot various analytical instruments (e.g., HPLC) and their corresponding software components.
- Bachelors of Science in Chemistry, Engineering, Food Science, Botany, Agriculture or related fields with chemistry emphasis.
- 4+ years of experience working in food, beverage, nutraceutical, ingredient or related industry laboratory.
- Applied research and development experience, as well as mechanically inclined.
- Demonstrated high level of proficiency of HPLC operation, data processing and troubleshooting.
- Extractions and sample preparation of food, plant materials, and botanicals experience.
- Support and lead grape and other specialty products and process development.
- MS Office proficiency, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Communicate effectively between technical counterparts in all operations, write reports and make data presentations.
- Ability to function alone or in a team laboratory environment and make contributions beyond specific job function.
- Possess a strong work ethic and a desire to acquire new knowledge and skills.
- Passionate, self-starter/learner requiring minimal supervision.
- Manage multiple research projects to achieve milestones in a timely manner.
- Possess a sense of business acumen.
- Interest in natural ingredients, natural products.
- MS or PhD with area of study in Natural Products Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Food Science or related field.
- Conducted applied research.
- Experience with food ingredient or nutraceutical process and product development.
- HPLC-MS specifically, LC-QTOF-MS.
- Bench and or pilot scale separations and purifications of botanical or biological extracts utilizing various techniques such as but not limited to: adsorption elution chromatography, ultrafiltration, preparative chromatography, ion-exchange chromatography, reverse osmosis, precipitation, etc.
- Emphasis in Natural Products Chemistry specifically tannins and anthocyanins is highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of statistics, principal component analysis (PCA) and/or other data processing functions.
- Process engineering experience.
- Hands-on experience with analysis of flavors and aroma compounds.
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
- Work Environment:
- Works outdoors/indoors
- Works in warm/cold climates
- Works in high places
- Works on wet surfaces
- Is exposed to loud noise, fumes and/or toxic chemicals
- Works near moving, mechanical parts and lift truck traffic
- Primary office environment may be warehouse/distribution setting
- Must be at least 21 years of age. Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and work on a computer for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Job ID : R-00312