Job DescriptionPOSITION SUMMARY: (Summary description of the primary duties and objectives) The Senior Engineer -- Air Care leads the development on products for new and existing product lines. In this key role, he/she will lead the PD&E activities to ensure that BISSELL requirements are met with an end result of successful product launches. This person will have a heavy emphasis in technical expertise while having the ability to create and manage a project schedule, maintain and strengthen supplier relationships, and be a critical link in technical communications both within BISSELL and with outside suppliers. POSITION PROFILE (Major duties, accountabilities, and responsibilities)
1. Be an Engineering development leader for BISSELL -- seek and bring in market winning products and technologies to the business. Monitor the status of technical issues on all assigned projects and communicate and direct activities as necessary to ensure the success of complex projects.
2. Conduct, supervise and approve the development of technical designs along with associated material specifications, test plans, purchased component specifications and end product specifications. Ensure proper documentation is incorporated into BISSELL systems.
3. Specify or evaluate purchased components or in conjunction with manufacturing suppliers. 4. Set clear and thorough part and material specifications for, working with Compliance and Test Engineers as needed. Responsible for completeness, correctness and accuracy of Specifications as the Technical project leader. 5. Collaborate with Consumer Design, Marketing, Sales, Quality, Purchasing, and other cross-functional team members while being responsible to lead the technical requirements on new or existing product lines.
6. Work to establish yourself as an expert in systematic problem-solving and knowledge capture techniques and teach these same techniques to peers and interns within the organization.
7. Prepare and present technical information as required to functions outside of Engineering, at times including Management, on projects or issues that may affect business decisions.
8. Assess and review global product and market requirements to ensure multiple robust design solutions are considered and evaluated throughout all phases of product development.
9. Effectively communicate technical requirements and transition projects on a global basis.
10. Collaborate with Manager to:
a. Recommend and participate in the creation and improvement of methods, equipment and staffing.
b. Estimate technical project resource requirements and project expenses.
c. Coach, mentor and potentially supervise Technicians and Co-Ops.
d. Monitor progress on projects to insure complete and accurate documentation of core competencies.
e. Identify, investigate and implement ongoing cost savings opportunities.
f. Discuss and suggest improvements to BISSELL policies and processes.
11. Monitor the analysis of test data reviewed by Technicians, and Co-ops, and analyze test results of complex functions of the system designs to ensure product integrity and performance.
12. Control the accuracy and completeness of Technical Deliverables required by overseeing the work of more junior associates like Co-Ops, as required.
13. Monitor Product Development, Test Lab, Regulatory Compliance, Legal and Model Shop departments to plan and provide accurate data and timing on projects to ensure a smooth work flow of deliverables.
14. Monitor the execution of Quality Plans on the most critical components or assemblies to assure the agreed to performance is maintained as products mature or changes are made.
15. Provide information to prepare and verify technical content of Patents and associated legal documentation as requested for assigned projects.
16. Review project deliverables like product cost, timing, etc. with manager to stay within planned project success criteria.
17. May be required to perform other duties as assigned.Position RequirementsREQUIRED CORE COMPETENCIES for PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL JOB FAMILY: Global strategic thinking and implementation Continuous Improvement Mindset
Oral and written communication with impact Manage/contribute to multiple dynamic priorities
Professional expertise Actively seek and share information
Interpersonal/collaborative skills Self -Initiative with Strong Emphasis on Project Management abilities REQUIRED EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION: (i.e. degree, years of experience, etc.) * Degree minimum: BS in Mechanical, Electrical, or Mechatronic Engineering or related Engineering field that demonstrates strong technical skills and systems engineering. * Experience level: * Minimum of 6 years in Product Development/Engineering, with a strong emphasis in Product Development of Consumer Products -- Air Care / Air Filtration Experience Highly Preferred
* Experienced leading multiple full cycle product launches, across multiple product lines.
* Is sought out by others for input because of experience/expertise in engineering.
* Demonstrated expertise in engineering fundamentals and technical project management.
* Proven ability to anticipate problems and formulate contingency plans.
* Experienced in test protocol development and analysis of data and test results.
* Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office Products.
* Demonstrated Project Management skills including schedule management and Risk analysis, communicating mitigation plans to upper management as required PREFERRED EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION: (i.e. MBA, certifications, etc.) * Demonstrated experience in leading projects in durable and consumable products, especially Air Care.
* Demonstrated experience in designing highly innovative and environmentally sustainable corrugated packaging solutions.
* Ability to communicate well with global parties to successfully launch products to international locations and work well with global suppliers to successfully transition projects from conception to execution.
* Demonstrated leadership skills in mentoring co-ops in similar field.
* 3D CAD and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing a plus
* Design for Manufacturing / Assembly
* Design of Experiments or demonstrated other scientific problem solving methods and data collection / analysis