Project Manager II
5 - 7 years experience • Aerospace / Defense
Cobham is seeking a certified Project Manager II that will lead projects and programs, including bid and proposal activities as required. The successful candidate will serve as a senior subject matter expert/mentor for the Program Management Organization at CMS Davenport, and will direct the projects and programs within the Life Support and Restraints & Retractors portfolio for the PMO. This position is located in Davenport, IA.
- Cobham Mission Systems in Davenport Iowa provides life support systems for military and commercial use. The programs have visibility with senior OEM and Cobham executives as well as the USAF, Secretary of the AF, Secretary of Defense, the GAO, and DCMA.
- Leading Projects & Programs
- Provide leadership and direction to project teams as assigned by Cobham management to establish project charters, PBS, WBS, schedules, budgets, and program plans for miscellaneous projects and programs.
- Plan, direct, and monitor program activities and budget while managing cost, quality and schedule for engineering design, development and integration.
- Develop and implement recovery plans for troubled programs.
- Provide for PM input and support to business development activity, including major new program proposal efforts.
- Serve as primary customer interface for project/program.
- Oversee configuration management, including change management effectivity.
- Manage hardware build progress during applicable conformity and qualification stages.
- Drive Functional IPT members to achieve program/project deliverables on time, on quality, on cost, on safety.
- Own EAC and lead IPT to achieve monthly re-validation of ETC for contract, ensuring any delta costs are mitigated and/or appropriately attributed to change where applicable.
- Ensure hardware delivery deadlines are established/known for contract, including identification of schedule outliers with action plans in place to mitigate schedule impact.
- Oversee production of Cobham-designed/built assemblies to ensure schedule alignment and need dates, requires coordination with Supply Chain, Engineering, Quality and Operations.
- Receive and monitor Supplier Management LOB reports and address any performance issues with swift corrective action.
- Ensure overall estimating compliance to Customer requirements of SOW, SDRL and DiD.
- Ensure Configuration Control and Change Management compliance for Class I and Class II changes.
- Establish and monitor Risks and Risk Mitigation activities with the goal of mitigation or avoidance.
- Provide status reports to senior management including KPIs.
- Serve as a customer contact for program information, manage key relationships and host periodic customer reviews.
- Lead/support Requirements Change Proposals (RCP) preparation, submittal, fact finding, negotiations and implementation.
- Implement Life Cycle Management (LCM) practices and methodologies such as Phase Reviews, tender vets, actions closures, etc.
- Ensure risks, schedule, and budget impacts created or mitigated by changes are identified and managed as part of the overall risk program.
- Drive reductions in cycle time and costs associated with processing changes.
- Drive problem items to closure by developing and executing detailed actions plans.
- Utilize visual performance boards, MS Project, and other tools necessary to communicate, manage, and drive execution of the program changes.
- Provide standard decks and management briefs as well as information for deep-dives.
- Perform first person reviews of existing customer contracts, requirements, supplier contracts, and changes to these documents in order to ensure a comprehensive understanding of changes.
- Lead program proposals and ensuring requirements derivation, allocation and compliance, stakeholder engagement and management, proposal strategy development, etc.
- Drive cost estimating process and rationalize data.
- Create an atmosphere of collaboration, support, and continual improvement within change management organization.
- Lead teams and perform other individual tasks as assigned by Cobham Management
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Science, or Business Administration
- Three (3) years minimum experience managing projects within the aerospace, defense, production value streams
- Five (5) years of experience leading projects, programs and proposals with demonstrated ability to plan and implement detailed change proposals
- Experience in leading a cross functional projects from development to production/deployment
- Experience leading matrixed IPTs in a matrix organization
- Experience in initiating and executing a wide range of new product development and qualification programs in a military and commercial aerospace environment
- Formal Project or Program Management training or certification
- This position requires access to technology, materials, software or hardware that is controlled by export laws of the US. In order to be eligible you must be either a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Strong leadership skills with geographically and functionally diverse organizations.
- Ability to develop strategic plans and implement tactical actions to further Cobham’s mission and goals.
- Superior problem solving and decision making capabilities – previous training with rational problem solving techniques highly preferred
- Ability to coordinate multiple conflicting priorities and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct in-depth technical, financial, and contractual discussions. Capable of clearly and effectively communicating within the team and with other program stakeholders, especially with suppliers, management and customers.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Project, as well as Excel and other office suite products.
- EVMSexperience and/or certification.
- Ability to travelinternationally.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.
See all of our latest opportunities at or follow us on our LinkedIn page at
To be considered you must apply by going to