Associate/Senior/Study Director - Neuromuscular Disorders
The Jackson Laboratory is seeking an experienced PhD level scientist with relevant and extensive experience across a number of mouse models of neurological and neuromuscular disease. The incumbent is expected to apply their knowledge and experience on client based studies as well as to develop and characterize new mouse models and platforms for preclinical therapeutic testing.
Study Directors have ultimate accountability for ensuring studies are executed to the specifications of the client outlined in a scope of work, meeting or exceeding client expectations without deviation and on a specific budget. The incumbent is responsible for mentoring Project Manager(s), Senior Project Manager(s), and a team of technicians tasked with executing scientific studies on behalf of external or internal customers in a collaborative in vivo laboratory environment. In addition, the incumbent will ensure accuracy in: quoting, revenue forecasting and invoicing of the studies.
- Provide scientific guidance and support to clients meeting or exceeding their expectations for quality of service and execution of science.
- Support the development of new mouse models and preclinical testing platforms
- Provide leadership to staff within your reporting structure ensuring they have adequate training and mentoring to support the in vivo services drive for scientific quality and operational efficiency in support of the labs goals and holding them accountable for the same.
- Ensure staff understand and are compliant with all policies, procedures and practices established by the organization thus ensuring the most efficient operation of the laboratory to provide clients with the highest quality scientific service while meeting organizational operations and financial targets. This includes AXAPTA data entry, LIMS data entry, PPE requirements and general lab operations.
- Work with colleagues to establish agreed standards for our most frequently run studies and ensure these standards are followed unless changes are well documented and approved by the client. Ensure baseline model performance data (such as disease induction rate, disease progression timeline, etc) are compiled, submitted to the head of operation and Business Unit Manager, and shared with colleagues.
- PhD in a life science
- Minimum of 2-3years’ post doctoral training. Experience in a contract research laboratory, pharmaceutical or biotechnology industries is preferred
- Extensive experience in neuromuscular research, such as muscular dystrophies, ALS and peripheral neuropathy
- Experience with preclinical research, in vivo study design and animal research (preferably rodents).
- Excellent management/supervisory skills and proven experience with mentoring direct reports.
- Documented ability to develop and lead technical teams.
Please submit a CV and letter of interest as one document to complete application process.
The Jackson Laboratory, (JAX, www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 1,800 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX’s research facility in Bar Harbor, Maine is a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center and a world-renowned expert in mammalian genetics. JAX also has facilities in Sacramento, California, and The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, Connecticut.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging and heart disease.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums and galleries.
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Tracking Code 6803