Reporting to the Controller, the Director of Payroll is responsible for directing the daily operations and activities of the Dartmouth Payroll Office and providing oversight and coordination for payroll related activities performed within Dartmouth College’s finance centers or departments. The Director of Payroll leads change management and process improvement for all tasks necessary to accomplish the Dartmouth payroll processing objectives. The Director of Payroll maintains and ensures compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations and taxreporting and is responsible for relationships with internal and external auditors and state and federal agencies.
Skills & Knowledge
- Federal and state payroll, labor and IRS regulations.
- Experience performing accounting, reconciliation, and internal control, preferably in a higher education environment with significant sponsored research activities.
- Experience with complex human resource and payroll management information systems, particularly Oracle HRMS.
- Excellence in interpersonal and communication skills with human resources, financial, information systems, and academic personnel.
- Ability to plan work, set priorities and manage multiple priorities, and changes in schedules and priorities.
- Strong negotiation, customer service and collaboration skills.
- Familiarity with Federal Work Study a plus.
- Ability to affect change.
- Commitment to diversity and to serving the needs of a diverse community.
- Initiative, sound judgment and ability to work independently or with a group.
- At least five years of relevant leadership experience in payroll operations and compensation accounting management, preferably in a higher education environment.
- Strong background and demonstrated success in process improvement, system maximization, internal control, and customer service.
- Experience with direct supervision of payroll staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business administration or the equivalent combination education and experience.
SEIU LevelNot an SEIU PositionFLSAExemptEmployment CategoryRegular Full TimeDepartment Contact for Cover LetterGail GoodnessEqual Opportunity Employer
Dartmouth College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other legally protected status. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Employment in this position is contingent upon consent to and successful completion of a pre-employment background check, which may include a criminal background check, reference checks, verification of work history, and verification of any required academic credentials, licenses, and/or certifications, with results acceptable to Dartmouth College. A criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify an applicant from employment. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
- Provides management direction and oversight for all payroll activities on Campus and at other Dartmouth sites, including multiple states and international. This includes planning, organizing, prioritizing and delegating payroll assignments to ensure all staff are meeting assigned production deadlines and objectives in a timely and accurate manner.
- Participates in the continued development and maintenance of institutional policies and procedures governing payroll operations and control.
- Represents the Payroll Department and Controller’s Office in achieving overall College objectives in collaboration with managers and directors throughout the College, including: Human Resources, Budget, Sponsored Projects, Administrative Computing, Finance Centers and various other departments and professional schools.
- Interacts with department and division administrators to resolve pay, labor distribution, taxreporting, and compliance questions.
- Participates in programs to educate Non-Resident Aliens on the application for tax treaty benefits.
- Coordinates and monitors payroll services provided by third party vendors including ADP (state and federal taxreporting), Equifax (payroll verification), and Windstar (Tax Treaty Analysis),
Compliance and Reporting
- Designs and achieves the internal controls, quality control monitoring, financialreporting and customer service objectives of the Payroll Department and institutional payroll activities.
- Designs and implements business processes for an effective and efficient institutional payroll operation that satisfies federal, state and local labor and tax compliance and reporting requirements, including federal award compliance, labor and IRS compliance; security, integrity, and confidentiality of payroll information; maximizing the functionality of the payroll system and flow of such information to/from other accounting systems.
- Ensures appropriate procedures in place to; accurately report imputed income and deferred compensation; process abandoned property and overpayments; and maintain I9 records.
- Monitors regulatory and legislative developments affecting payroll. Interpret and implement change related to applicable regulations.
- Provides timely and accurate payrolls in compliance with federal and state regulations, as well as College policy.
- Ensures the accuracy and reconciliation of payroll information from the human resource management system to the financialreporting systems.
- Defines and develops ad hoc reporting.
- Coordinates and completes internal and external audits of payroll and any other related compliance matters.
- Identifies audit issues and take appropriate action to resolve any audit findings.
- With minimal supervision, leads the day to day activities and long term planning of the Payroll Department and the management of payroll and compensation accounting records.
- Establishes priorities, oversees workflow, and reports on progress and achievement of goals.
- Direct and supervise the hiring, evaluation, supervision and training of staff in the Payroll Department (approximately 4 staff).
- Responsible for monitoring and adhering to the Payroll Department budget.
- Encourages and fosters a positive team-oriented working environment through effective communication
Systems and Projects
- Working closely with the Human Resources Information System (HRIS) team, ensures appropriate resources and Payroll Department participation in payroll system projects to ensure compliance with regulations and Dartmouth policies and adequate testing by payroll functional staff.
- Leads or participates in a variety of projects as assigned to implement new system functionality, process improvements, compliance requirements, or other established goals for the Payroll Office or Dartmouth.