Picture yourself adding your creativity toward game-changing innovation. Our businesses operate at the intersection of tax preparation and financial planning, and our competitive advantage lies in their unique combination. With award-winning products and services through our TaxAct and HD Vest brands, Blucora is on the forefront of financial tech, turning taxes into opportunity for our consumers, small business customers and tax professionals. We have a culture of creating market disruption; a place where big ideas, and those who think them, can flourish. If you’re interested in being part of a team that dreams large, talks straight, and helps millions of customers every year build their financial future, then we should talk!
The Senior Data Engineer – SQL Server is responsible for the system architecture and infrastructure of our SQL Server environment in AWS. Also responsible for supporting the SQL Server infrastructure to ensure performance targets and system SLAs are maintained.
Major responsibilities of the position are listed below. To perform the job successfully, the individual must be able to execute each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Configure and maintain database servers and processes, including monitoring of system health and performance, to ensure high levels of performance, availability, and security
- Independently analyze, solve, and correct issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end
- Refine and automate regular processes, track issues, and document changes
- Perform scheduled maintenance and support release deployment activities after hours
- Provide technical guidance and thought leadership to other members of the team
- Provide 24x7 support for critical production systems via an on-call rotation
Assist developers with complex query tuning and schema refinement
other job duties as defined.
Education and Experience:
- BS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, related fields or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years MS SQL Server administration experiencerequired
- 2+ years MS SQL Server administration experience in a cloud environment (e.g. Amazon Web Services [preferred] or Azure)
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models
- Thorough understanding of best practices in SQL security
- Well‐versed in High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server including Always-On Availability Groups & Failover Clusters, database replication, and log shipping
Experience with performance tuning, optimization, and benchmarking using native monitoring tools
Strong analytic, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are required
- Good understanding of service delivery/support processes or ITIL Framework
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity and ability to acquire new skills quickly
We offer a competitive salary, outstanding benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision. Life insurance, paid vacation and sick days, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, and 401(k) with company match.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, or disability