The ideal candidate for the Process Engineer position will have demonstrated experience in optical component & sub-system manufacturing, process development & production line development. Experience with resolving technical issues with Contract Manufacturers (CMs), developing lean and six-sigma manufacturing strategies, and production-line transfers to CMs is highly desirable.
Travel to Asia required during product transfer. Typical stay in factory ranges from 3 to 5 weeks.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Responsible for developing and improving manual and automated assembly processes such as cleaning, splicing, die attach, and optical alignment.
· Create assembly instructions, process documentation, preventative maintenance plans, and control plans. Train, certify, and audittechnicians and operators to process documentation.
· Review existing processes & enhance them to improve yield, cycle time & quality
· Facilitate the implementation of engineering changes and process improvements throughout product life cycle
· Evaluate materials and assemblies provided by suppliers according to specifications & quality standards
· Monitor process performance using tools such as statistical process control (SPC)
· Key technical liaison for our manufacturing facility in Asia.
· Responsible for resolving technical issues related to optical assembly processes in the design phase working with optical design and reliability teams, as well as in the scale-up phase with Contract Manufacturers (CMs).
· Support production line moves and/or new product introduction by coordinating quality, materials, tools, production line layouts, and process development.
· Supportyear over year cycle time reductions
· Experience with industrialengineering a plus (e.g., capacity analysis, time studies)
· Manage Bill of Material (BOM) changes and support ongoing maintenance and accuracy in cooperation with other functions.
Experience & Qualifications
· Bachelors or Master’s Degree in an engineering or materials science discipline.
· A minimum of five years manufacturing & process engineeringexperience in optical component/sub-system manufacturing or a related field.
· Strong background in statistical analysis technics using modeling tools such as Minitab.
· Proficiency with Excel, database tools, GPIB equipment and product lifecycle management and manufacturing systems is required.
· Ability to work with & provide direction to production technicians.
· Knowledge of lean manufacturing, DFM/DFT & statistical tools. Training in Six Sigma (e.g., Green or Black Belt) strongly preferred.
· Technical writing skills.
· Technology transfer experience
· Must be able to work in an environment of short notice changes, tolerate interruptions, and commit to extended work hours as necessary.
· Ability to plan and prioritize activities, perform and monitor multiple overlapping tasks/operations to meet schedule.
· Must be able to travel for several weeks at a time.