Are you looking for a digital position where you can be a leader in a fast-paced and creative environment? If you have the chops for managing a winning team, are social media savvy, a true news junkie, and want to live amid the pools and palm trees of Southern California's Coachella Valley, read on. This may be your next career move.
The Digital Content Director (DCD) is responsible for the day-to-day editorial oversight of the station's digital, mobile and social platforms. The DCD is a member of the newsroom management team and works closely with the station News Director to produce and distribute brand-reinforcing content across all platforms. Responsibilities also include special project planning/execution and ensuring that newsroom team members meet established deadlines in order to provide a steady stream of updated local content throughout each day.
- Responsible for supervising all editorial production of news content on station website as well as RSS, SMS, mobile and all other digital and social platforms.
- Communicate daily deadlines to newsroom employees and assign tasks to newsroom staff as necessary (e.g. breaking news) to ensure daily production deadlines are met.
- Generate and oversee accountability systems for better quality control.
- Provide employee feedback on a continuous and regular basis (positive & constructive).
- Execute breaking news -- including SMS, social media, email alerts.
- Manage social media -- station staff posts and moderation of user comments.
- Integrate compelling and creative text, still images, interactive content, audio and video.
- Plan for the long-term growth of the station's digital/mobile/social platforms, set priorities and plan coverage for major events.
- Think strategically about developing the sites' audiences and the online capacities of newsroom staff.
- Help develop new opportunities to expand news brand and services to new & emerging technologies.
- Possess working knowledge of web standards and protocols.
- Execute breaking news.
- Responsible for ensuring content complies with legal requirements concerning libel, slander and First Amendment laws.
- Works with IMC, Sales and Marketing to coordinate necessary sales applications.
- Meet all assigned production deadlines.
- Be on call to cover major events 24 hours a day and/or requiring travel to cover major events of significance to station's audience.
- Work irregular/odd hours and available to work weekends and holidays.
- Adhere to all guidelines, policies and procedures of station, NPG, the FCC, and all other federal, state and local laws.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by news management.
- Possess the online experience and judgment needed to provide added value to reports initially developed by broadcast reporters.
- Knowledge and understanding of content management system.
- Basic understanding and demonstration of multi-media file formats and strong computer skills; working knowledge of HTML, Photoshop preferred.
- Understand the importance and use of social media.
- Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills.
- Promote teamwork and maintain attitude of cooperation with all station personnel.
- Work well with other newsgatherers.
- Should be a fixture within morning and afternoon news meetings to facilitate content or suggest content opportunities.
- Supervise generation of on-line coverage of the day, including story assignments, execution and integration into on-line technologies.
- Up to date on current events with emphasis on local content generated by newsroom staff and market competitors.
- Contribute content to relevant events and/or stories.
- Respond to viewer email and field viewer phone calls.
- Assist with special project/sweeps planning & execution.
- Responsible for communicating management message(s) to subordinates.
- Employee feedback/critiques.
- Adhere to daily schedules.
- Be a newsroom leader.
Required Skills/Education and Certification:
- Bachelor's degree in Communication, Journalism or related field; at least one year newsroom experience preferred.
- Energetic with motivational skills; team player/leader.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Experienced with web-publishing tools and versed with competitive sites and systems.
- Strong editorial judgment.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strong communication/people skills.
- Computer literate.
"Please send your resumes, reels and tapes to our career center. Use the apply tab located at the top of the Job posting to apply. E.O.E
Requisition Number: 17-1126