The Area Sales Manager directs the sales of company products to retail customers, ensuring that short and long-term goals for sales volume and profitability are met in accordance with budgeted goals, company policies and procedures.
- Leads Area sales efforts and delivers sales targets.
- Mentors, trains and develops assigned Area Sales Representatives to develop a best-in-class sales team.
- Develops effective long-term relationships with key customers within their area.
- Implements and executes sales policies and practices.
- Customizes market strategies and creates local customer strategies to achieve significant competitive advantage in the market.
- Leads sales initiatives utilizing area sales organization.
- (DSMP term from ASR).
- Reviews market analysis to determine customer needs, price schedules, and rates.
- Partners with sales team to coordinate, communicate, and monitor monthly price changes.
- Executes marketing program as directed.
- Delivers sales presentations to key clients in coordination with sales representatives.
- Makes regular calls on present customer accounts to check product displays, proper rotation, stock, cleanliness of displays, and effect of current promotions.
- Represents company at trade association meetings to promote product.
- Recommends sales strategies for improvement based on market research and competitor analysis.
- Performs ride-a-longs and market tours with team members to provide coaching and development guidance.
- Has management responsibility involving staffing, conducting performance appraisals, training and developing subordinates, promotions, salary increases, terminations, disciplinary actions, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degreerequired(experience may be considered, in lieu of degree, for internal candidates).
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a consumer goods company in a sales capacity, to include at least 2 years directly managing large, complex customer relationships.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in a management capacity.
- Dairy Industry experience is a major plus.
- Strong general business capabilities and analytical skills.
- Ability to demonstrate solid sales track record.
- Excellent sales management, negotiation and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Skill in organization, prioritization, and attention to detail.
- Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs.
- Strong team player who is able to work across multiple functions and disciplines.
- Must be able to pass all pre-employment screens (including drug, background and criminal checks).