McLane Company, Inc. is one of the largest supply chain services leaders, providing grocery and foodservice supply chain solutions for convenience stores, mass merchants, drug stores and chain restaurants throughout the United States. McLane, through McLane Grocery and McLane Foodservice operates over 80 distribution centers across the U.S. and one of the nation's largest private fleets. The company buys, sells and delivers more than 50,000 different consumer products to nearly 110,000 locations across the U.S. In addition, McLane provides alcoholic beverage distribution through its wholly owned subsidiary, Empire Distributors, Inc. McLane is a wholly owned unit of Berkshire Hathaway Inc. (NYSE: BRK) and employs more than 20,000 teammates.
Warehouse Job Description
JOB SUMMARY / GENERAL DESCRIPTION: This position is responsible for establishing and maintaining a smooth operation of the Distribution/Warehousing Department and help provide 24 hours coverage. Provide general supervision of all warehouse operations and functional processes within the department. Primary responsibility is to maintain a properly staffed and trained department that supports the warehousing function by offering the highest levels of logistics support. This position involves the planning, directing, and coordination of all warehousing activities. Must keep product moving smoothly, accurately, and efficiently. Must drive key performance indicators for cost savings, and maintain efficient utilization of manpower through proper scheduling and training in order to provide the highest levels of customer service at the store level.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS / PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Other duties may be assigned. A teammate in this position must have the ability to:
- Direct and motivate Teammates.
- Coordinate the investigation of accidents or unsafe conditions through the company safety department.
- Responsible for compliance and knowledge with OSHA regulations and other safety standards. Maintain facility in a safe manner in accordance with company and governmental standards.
- Ensure that warehousing procedures offer the cost-effective solutions that will drive profitability.
- Uphold sanitation and housekeeping standards and conduct compliance audits to such standards.
- Manage and benchmark warehouse aspects of profit and loss statement.
- Assist in managing all department re-bids.
- Maintain effective and timely scheduling of Warehouse Teammates and Support Staff. Current week and following week schedules should always be posted with a working copy available by request for the next week.
- Must facilitate communication within the management team and between the Teammates and management.
- Provide training as needed to maintain an efficient and knowledgeable work force.
- Enforcement of general company policies and issuance of coaching/disciplinary documentation to teammates. All final written warnings and separations will be presented and administered by this position with the approval of the Distribution Manager and/or the Human Resources Manager.
- Must assign accountability within staff to track and trend key performance indicators to ensure the center is meeting and exceeding customer expectations.
- Strong knowledge of Teammate Handbook.
- Establish and provide departmental coverage and leadership and maintain level of managerial professionalism at all times.
- Assist Transportation Operations Managers with resolution of issues between warehousing and distribution.
- Provide additional assistance with projects and other items to be assigned periodically.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:A teammate in this position must:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- 5 – 7 years of experience in all facets of outbound and inbound warehousing, preferably in the food service industry.
- Mainframe computer software relating to record keeping.
- Preferred experience on AS 400 Mainframe, Excel, Microsoft Word, and Access programs; or similar programs.
- Management of large numbers of warehouse staff with experience in hiring, training, motivating Teammates, and resolving employee relations issues.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals, and inter-company memos/outside correspondence.
- Minimum of 4 years of accounting, planning, analytical and/or reporting experience, in positions with increasing responsibility is preferred.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and technical procedures.
- Detailed understanding of financial statements and resulting cost implications. Possess ability to identify financial issues and provide cost effective solutions to such issues.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, vendors, and employees.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Strong analytical and communication skills with proven ability to work within the framework of the Team. TEAM concept and TEAMWORK are essential functions performed daily.
- Knowledge of distribution systems.
- Ability to utilize faxing and copying machines.
- Extensive communications via phone.
- Ability to communicate with different levels of internal/external staffing.
- Understanding of dispatch issues and procedures.
- The environment encompasses all areas of a Distribution Center.
- This position may require work in hot and cold temperature extremes and exposure to dust, dirt, fumes, noise, potentially harmful chemicals, solvents and components, and working in close to proximity to other teammates.