Req #: 4981
Corning is one of the world's leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Develop, assemble, test and deploy measurement systems in support of manufacturing process control and inspection of Corning products. Manage the transfer of technology from development to manufacturing.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Work with customers to define requirements and scopes of work.
- Leverage off-the-shelf instruments or develop new measurement methods to optimize manufacturing processes or inspect the quality of Corning products.
- Demonstrate proof-of-concept in lab environment.
- Engineer measurement solutions that are suitable for use in manufacturing.
- Work with a variety of cross functional groups (Development, Quality, IT, Purchasing, Operations) to deliver effective solutions.
- Leverage external suppliers for key technologies or core competencies such as system integration.
- Define Scopes of Work, competitively quote when appropriate, issue Purchase Orders, track supplier work and approve invoices.
- Design experiments and analyze data to identify and implement improvements to measurement systems or production processes.
- Create/update documentation for release to production including Machine Specifications; operating procedures and drawing packages.
- Train engineering, maintenance and operations people how to use and maintain measurement systems.
- Provide remote and onsite troubleshooting using data and performance analysis of the installed systems.
- 10-30% domestic and/or international travel (Asia, Europe)
- 1 day to several week trips are possible. A week or less is typical.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- 40 hrs./week minimum
Required Education & Experience:
- BS, MS or PhD in Physics, Optics, ME, ECE or EE
- Minimum of 5 years hands on experience with fiber optic metrology equipment
- Experience with fiber optic test and measurement equipment & techniques (OTDRs, Spectrum analyzers, Power Meters, integrating spheres, IL, RL, interferometers, dispersion, PMD, wavemeters, fiber end face inspection, etc..)
- Optical system design
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Systems Engineering and integration
- Experience with electrical/optical/mechanical installations, including system checkout and troubleshooting
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Data retrieval, plotting and analysis
- Strong programming (prefer .NET)
- Machine Vision system development (optics, lighting, cameras, image acquisition, image analysis)
- Knowledge of image processing algorithms (blob analysis, edge finding, morphology, feature extraction, classification, metrology)
- Digital Signal Processing
- Control systems (PLCs)
- Process engineering knowledge. Experienced with design of experiments, statistical analysis and process improvement
- Experience with Metrology, Inspection and Product Quality in support of production organizations
- Motion Control – ability to integrate motion on imaging platforms
- Computing – Familiar with high performance computing systems
- Interpersonal skills - able to interact effectively with customers & coworkers
- Effective communication
- Customer focused
- Able to work independently
- Results oriented
- Quick learner
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work with others for whom English is not their primary language