3M is seeking a Senior Research Chemists, Engineers, and Analysts for Research and Development (R&D) located in Maplewood, Minnesota. Here, you go.
Individuals hired for a position in 3M Research and Development will develop advanced technologies and products in one of 3M’s Corporate Research Labs or Business Group Labs. At 3M, our researchers leverage our 46 technology platforms and capabilities to develop new technologies and products that solve customer problems across many businesses and markets. 3M offers over 55,000 products that are helping customers are used in consumer electronics, hospitals and clinics, industrial manufacturing, and safety products. 3M core material technologies and expertise include advanced polymers, nanotechnology, biotechnology, and fluorochemistry that are used in adhesive tapes, protective coatings, filmtechnologies, non-wovens, reflective signage, and respirators. 3M is applying Science to Life.
Note: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. It is in a candidate’s best interest to apply early. Most hiring decisions will be made by December 2017.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Leverage expertise to develop and advance technologies that can be used for new product commercialization opportunities
- Protect 3M intellectual property through the filing of new patent applications, publish in top-tier journals, and present at appropriate conferences
- Collaborate with research teams from corporate research and business labs on building capabilities and applications that use his/her scientific, mathematical, and computational skills
- Active participation in 3M’s Tech Forum
- Collaboration with international laboratories for technology and product transfers
- Possess or in the last year of pursuing a Doctoral degree or Post-Doctoral fellow in a Science or Engineering discipline from an accredited university
- Possess or in the last year of pursuing a Doctoral degree or Post-Doctoral fellow in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Polymer Science, Biomolecular Engineering, or related discipline from an accredited university
- Minimum of two – five (2-5) years of practical laboratory experience in synthesis of polymers and small molecules, chemical/polymer processing, advanced analytical and materials characterization, vapor coating, nanotechnology, development of sensors, and optical materials
- Good skills in data analysis and the use of designed experiments
- Use of designed experiments and statistical analysis of experimental results
- Strong scientific and technical acumen, with demonstrated interest and ability to make connections between science/technology and real-world concerns
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to deal with the ambiguity of early-stage scouting and evaluation of new opportunities and the flexibility to change direction as additional information becomes available
- Demonstrated scientific excellence as evidenced by publications and presentations
- Demonstrated leadership and networking skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation)