Counsel, Commercial Contracts (Education Advisory Board)
The Role in Brief:
We are seeking a highly-motivated, versatile commercial attorney to become a critical member of a business-oriented legal department of an international, publicly traded, mission-driven company, focusing principally on EAB, the company’s growing education division. The position will include a significant amount of cross-functional interaction between EAB and other functions within the company, including the company’s regulatory, sales, product development and delivery, information systems, and finance functions.
A successful Counsel must provide top-level legal advice, risk mitigation strategies, and project management acumen while also serving as a value-add partner to the company’s education businesses, aligned in achieving the division’s and company’s strategic goals. As such, the successful candidate must demonstrate a high level of knowledge and experience in contract drafting and negotiation, particularly technology-related transactions, excellent business sense and judgment, well developed analytical problem-solving abilities, a strong aptitude for operating as a commercial attorney within regulated industries, and strong interpersonal and relationship development skills.
The Counsel will advise and support EAB in the resolution of critical business issues based on an evaluation and analysis of associated legal risks and will have significant interaction with senior representatives from our clients, vendors, and strategic partners. This individual will be expected to work on complex issues requiring in-depth evaluation of legal and business issues and must be willing and able to tackle a variety of projects simultaneously and meet demanding deadlines.
The Counsel will report to the company’s Associate General Counsel. Our current opportunity is based in Richmond, Virginia, where EAB has a large presence through its affiliate, Royall & Company. The Counsel will be required to travel between, and work from, Richmond and Washington, DC on a regular basis.
- Review, draft, negotiate and administer a variety of complex and ordinary course business contracts, including data-enabled software technology and professional services with clients
- Navigate complex procurement processes with public clients
- Draft and negotiate commercial contracts with vendors, strategic partners, and subcontractors
- Communicate and negotiate proactively with clients to resolve discrepancies and disagreements effectively
- Interact with the sales and finance teams to understand and ensure consistency with the business and financial requirements and objectives in all contracts
- Keep abreast of market and regulatory developments in higher education and work closely with regulatory (e.g., privacy, information security, and outside counsel) to help ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Ensure timely, high-quality analysis and advice on legal and business issues to internal clients
- Advise on commercial and other general business legal matters
- Engage in and lead various other legal projects and duties, including compliance matters, as assigned
- Minimum of 4 years of practical legal experience with substantial client contact
- JD and active state bar membership in good standing
- Excellent academic background and a demonstrated record of achievement
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities
- Attention to detail
- Proven ability in contract drafting and negotiating skills including both inbound and outbound commercial technology transactions and attendant intellectual property-related issues
- Ability to draft complex agreements and contractual provisions
- Experience working in a collaborative, high-performing team environment
- Intellectually curious self-starter with the ability to take independent initiative on projects
- Demonstrated success in an entrepreneurial operating environment
- Proven abilities as a solution-focused problem solver
- Combination of top law firm and in-house experience
- Experience working with colleges and universities on commercial and regulatory matters