Presales - Application Engineer
Presales - Application Engineer
LOCATIONS – Western Region (California, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Texas)
About our client….
Our client, a $20M international software company, is the leader in the explosive growing field of Materials Information technology. This is where materials science and engineering meet software and IT. A vision of ‘materials intelligence’ everywhere in education, R&D, and the product lifecycle. Aiming to advance materials engineering and education, to enable better, greener, safer products. Technology helps Engineers make better material choices early on in the design process and offers advanced material simulation technology, improving company’s bottom line and time to market with quality products and services.
The company was spun off of Cambridge University 20 years ago, where it maintains strong links, and has built a high-quality customer base around the world, with organizations such as Airbus, Boeing, General Electric, Jaguar Land Rover, Johnson & Johnson, and NASA, as well as most of the world’s leading Universities. Be part of the growing U.S. Team!
The Application Engineer role will appeal to engineers or scientists with an interest in materials, combining your technical knowledge with people and sales skills in a customer-facing role. It will involve organizations from industry sectors such as: aerospace, automotive, oil and gas, defense, medical, electronics, wind energy and more.
What you will be doing:
· Primarily Presales Activities - Engage with existing and potential customers to understand their requirements for materials information management, including extensive discovery to determine use cases, establish the value of potential projects to the prospective customer, derive implementation vision and strategy, and identify key metrics for project success.
· Give compelling solution demonstrations and support software implementation projects throughout North America.
· Design and develop material and process databases for use in proof-of-value demonstrations
· Develop relationships with customers' key technical stakeholders.
· Generate business winning proposals by bring together knowledge of potential customers’ success stories with applicable business justifications and a knowledge of different implementation strategies.
· Identify similarities / differences / trends in the requirements between existing and prospective customers, and different industry sectors.
Some special attractions of the role:
· Work with industry leaders in a variety of sectors—Customers include Boeing, Covidien, DoD, GE, GM, J&J, Lockheed Martin, Materion, NASA, Northrop Grumman, LLNL and SANDIA.
· Be involved in interesting projects across the product design and development process—in materials characterization and design, conceptual product design, environmental and regulatory applications, simulation, and more.
· Work independently and be innovative regarding the technical sales approach to solving customer problems.
· Keep up to datewith developments and best practice within relevant technical communities.
· Present at conferences and key tradeevents.
The ideal candidate will have:
· B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Physics or a related discipline (Master’s Degree is a plus). Minimum of 2-4years of work relevant work experience.
· Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills.
· Strong personal focus with the ability to identify opportunities for process improvement. Ability to support a sales organization in a team environment.
· Organized approach and methodology, strong project management skills, and the ability to work to tight deadlines.
· Knowledge of office automation software including Excel, and preferably database applications and some VBA and/or SQL.
· Familiarity with Mechanical Engineering applications such as CAD / CAM/ CAE / PLM software.
· Experience in the installation, setup and management of Windows application software.
· Ability to Travel: The position is based in the United States, working from your home office in close cooperation with the US Sales force. Travel in Western region (average 30%-40%) is required therefore you should reside close to a major airport. Initially, the successful candidate will be trained at the company headquarters based in Cambridge, UK.
· Base range of $90-$120k+ plus 15% bonus
· Medical Insurance contributions
· Stock Options
· A successful and supportive working environment
· Flexible working hours
· 15 days paid time off per year, plus nine public holidays