About WSP USA: WSP USA, formerly WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff, is the U.S. operating company of one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms—WSP. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment sectors. With nearly 7,000 people in 100 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper.
Here is your opportunity to work on a major program for our client, a Northeast Utility, where we have been engaged to provide program management and owner engineering services. The program includes a series of transmission improvements to bring a major segment of the Northeast T&D system into compliance with the North American Electric Reliability Cooperation (NERC) Transmission Planning (TPL) reliability standards. We will provide a team to manage planning, scheduling, monitoring, controlling, reporting, real estate, permitting, environmental studies, mapping, owner engineering, public outreach and communications, SQHE field support, procurement services support and construction and commissioning management. The duration of the initial program is about four years.
The Substation Engineer - Civil is required to work within a multi-discipline team to develop efficient and reliable design of civil activities. The Civil Engineer will coordinate his/her design activities to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion. The Civil Engineer may also be required to assist the Estimating Team in preparation of estimates and project proposals. This position is accountable to provide all design activities in accordance with all applicable codes and standards, including all policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
Additional accountabilities for the Civil Engineer include:
- Designing structures for electrical facilities including substation support structures, foundations, site development, control buildings, and ancillary structures,
- Delivering accurate and thorough designs that will meet industry standards and specifications,
- Reviewing internal and external designs for code compliance, good design practice and constructability,
- Preparing project specifications for material and equipment purchase and installation,
- Resolving site queries, attending site meetings and performing site inspections during the construction phase of projects,
- Maintaining complete project documentation with respect to civil/structural design and construction, including all completion packages, as-built requirements and return data information,
- Making and maintaining appropriate commitments to project teams and coordinating design activities with multi-disciplined project team members,
- Maintaining good working relationships with internal groups that support projects such as Procurement, Drafting, Project Management, etc,
- Maintaining good working relationships with clients, material suppliers, contractors, and any others that affect the quality, schedule and cost of projects.
- Work with multiple technical teams of Civil Engineers
- A degree in Civil Engineering from a recognized institution.
- P.E. Registration is preferred or eligible for P.E. Licensing.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in civil and structural designs for electrical transmission facilities.
- A working knowledge of S-frame and S-Steel design software or similar software and a good knowledge of Microsoft Office, Windows, MS Outlook.
- Knowledge of codes and standards such as IEEE and ANSI, including OH&S Regulations, NERC and FERC Regulations.