You'll be an integral part of the Tandem's management team and will support the company's core objectives while ensuring the organization operates within the law. At Tandem, we are dedicated to making the lives of people with diabetes better and better, through relentless innovation and revolutionary customer experience. To support these objectives, this position will advise on a wide range of legal subject areas, including general commercial transactions with vendors and suppliers, international expansion, corporate governance and compliance, SEC reporting, global privacy requirements, litigation and risk management, intellectual property, employment and real estate. This position is also expected to develop, lead, mentor and manage Tandem's in-house legal staff as the function scales with the company's overall growth. Additionally, this person will be a key player in corporate development and overall support of the Company's growth initiatives and must be capable of representing the organization with external business partners.
What you'll be doing:
- Handle a variety of legal issues relevant to medical device research and development, manufacturing, sales, training and support.
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provides counsel and guidance on legal matters.
- Responsible for drafting, reviewing, approving and providing oversight of all company agreements, including key agreements relating to suppliers and vendors, payers, distributors, clinical trials, software and technology licensing, employment and consulting.
- Provide legal advice and counsel relating to the company's international expansion in select geographies, including direct commercial operations in Canada.
- Oversee corporate governance, including maintenance of corporate records for the company and subsidiaries and securities law matters.
- Actively participate in corporate level transactions, including identifying key issues and risks, working closely with other members of the company's management team and informing and advising the company's Board of Directors as needed.
- Responsible for reviewing all promotional and product marketing material and implements and oversees appropriate measures to comply with applicable fraud, waste and abuse regulations.
- Oversee the company's privacy compliance program, including applicable policies, procedures and training, and coordination with other internal business functions.
- Advise the company on litigation risks of possible business decisions, manages and oversees threatened and actual litigation or other legal proceedings, and advises on appropriate strategy to defend or resolve litigation.
- Oversee the company's intellectual property strategy and enforcement, including protection of new ideas, management of company's patent and trademark portfolio and web-domains, and working with business units to ensure intellectual property is identified and protected.
- Provide legal advice and counsel regarding the company's human resources policies and practices.
- Lead and coordinates the legal services provided to Tandem, including selection and supervision of external counsel, and evaluate the quality and costs of outside counsel.
- Implement, manage and oversee the reporting of legal activity metrics.
- Create and manage legal budgets.
- Support the short and long-term planning for the department including headcount, budgeting, training, and systems requirements.
- Participate in the selection, development, performance appraisal, merit recommendation, and promotion of staff.
- Ensure department staff is properly trained, per designated training plan, before assuming job responsibilities.
- Develop and manage performance requirements of staff.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
What you need for this position:
- Ability to quickly assess complicated situations and articulate specific recommendations based on facts, the law and first-hand experience.
- A hands-on approach to performing duties with a strong self-directed work ethic and attention to detail.
- Firm understanding of the issues associated with design, development, manufacturing and commercialization of medical devices or other regulated products in the healthcare industry.
- Comfortable operating at the intersection of medical devices and digital health.
- Experience and success in building and leading a highly talented legal team of at least 5 attorneys.
- Ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment of rapid change, and where direct feedback and constructive criticism is expected and appreciated.
- Demonstrated ability engaging in problem solving activities regularly and autonomously.
- Demonstrated experience setting and following through with achieving goals with a sense of urgency, but with the ability to also keep broader strategic objectives in focus.
- Collaborative attitude and ability to motivate and influence others without relying on position or power.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with a keen sense of how to connect with people and build trust.
- Experience giving effective presentations to key decision makers.
Minimum certifications/educational level:
- Law degree (JD) from an accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in California or be eligible to obtain a limited license for in-house counsel.
- 15+ years of overall legal experience, including leading and building legal teams.
- 5+ years of successful, senior-level corporate counsel experience in a product-driven, technology-centric company, preferably in the healthcare, medical device or pharmaceutical industries.
- 5+ years of successful experience in private practice.