BD is looking for a highly talented Staff Mechanical Engineer to be part of the R&D team for PyxisTM and AlarisTM brand of products. The Staff Mechanical Engineer position is a technical leadership position, responsible for leading the mechanical engineering activities to develop innovative solutions for new feature requests, product improvements, and obsolescence management to complex electro-mechanical instrumentation in their post release part of their life cycle. The individual would have responsibility for working cross-functionally to develop solutions that are aimed at improving clinical outcomes, patient experience and workflow for healthcare professionals.
Key to this role is having significant depth and experience as a mechanical engineer and an entrepreneurial can-do mindset. Applicant should have a positive attitude and ability to work in a team environment.
Responsibilities, skills, and behaviors that an engineer should expect to experience in this role include:
- Translate product requirements into hardware specifications.
- Develop test strategies to demonstrate designs meet requirements and specifications.
- Analyze and interpret test results using standard statistical tools and techniques.
- Define tasks, timeline and required resources to deliver on the mechanical portion of a project, with strong accountability for successful completion of agreed upon deliverables.
- Demonstrated expertise in part design for plastic injection molding and sheet metal fabrication using CAD modeling (preferably SolidWorks).
- A passion for solving complex technical problems.
- Demonstrated expertise in the use of creating component and assembly drawings that utilize traditional tolerancing and Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) as appropriate.
- Use and understanding of Product Data Management Systems, Change Control processes and New Product Introduction.
- Experience utilizing Design for Six Sigma Tools and concepts such as but not limited to: Pugh concept selection matrices, Fishbone Diagrams, Functional Block Diagrams, Transfer Functions, Statistical Analysis, Sensitivity against Variation, and design of experiments (DOE).
- Ability to generate protocols, reports, and presentations to share information with team members and independent reviewers as part of Technical Reviews and Constructive Challenge.
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to multi-task and drive to achieve results with minimal oversight.
- Effectively present and communicate analysis to project teams and management in order to drive decisions and conclusions.
- Present task/project status to project teams, management, and stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or similar.
- Minimum of 8 years of post-educational professional experience, with focus on mechanical design with at least 2 years of project leadership experience
- Experience in the medical industry and associated design control development methods
- MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering.
- 10+ years of post-educational experience in Medical Device Design, preferably complex electro-mechanical devices
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and influence multiple levels of associates.
- Experience interfacing with other engineering disciplines, specifically Electrical Engineering and embedded software.
- Experience contracting with, and managing, third party consultants within and outside the US.
- Expertise in common risk management techniques (FMEA, FTA, ETA).
- Effective interpersonal and collaborative skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills.