This position is responsible for developing strategy and implementing the company's Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) and Sustainability Programs. This position will lead and execute safety, environmental compliance and sustainability efforts. This position will be responsible for establishing and overseeing health and safety standards. This position will select, develop, and evaluate personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function by performing the following duties:
- Responsible for Frederick, MD and Baltimore, MD EHS operations at the LSG group as needed – predominantly in the USA, but not limited to.
- Responsible for liaising and interacting with business leaders and country Vice Presidents/General Managers to EHS needs to support business growth. Responsible for providing support and delivering metrics/results to the above mentioned stakeholders.
- Develops, maintains, and enforces Safety Policies and Procedures in accordance with all local, state, federal and corporate achievement program requirements. Purpose of sites includes distribution center/warehouses, manufacturing site, specialized lab and offices
- Ensures compliance with EHS and Facilities regulations and codes and acts as primary point of contact to regulatory agency / government authorities.
- Manages the employee safety training program, including developing and delivering training curricula, and selecting and evaluating outside consultants/trainers where necessary
- Ensure proper Management of the Hazardous Waste and Emergency Response programs
- Specifies the procurement and maintenance of safety equipment inventory to ensure that onsite personnel have adequate protection from workplace hazards.
- Reviews the procurement of chemicals and materials purchased for production, engineering, and R&D, including the maintenance of the library of SDS's
- Ensures emergency response activities are performed
- Drives productivity and cost savings in the accumulation, collection, storage, and disposal of hazardous waste and non-hazardous waste aiming at achieving zero waste status at each location.
- Drives quality delivery, productivity and cost savings of all EHS operations
- Establishes and manages comprehensive ergonomics programs
- Develops and manages site EHS budget
- Conducts site audits for compliance with company global standards
- Leads and influences on day-to-day programs at each site, including new employee orientation, and regulatory record keeping/reporting
- Oversees the administration of company compliance with regulatory permits. Prepares applications, interpreted regulations and adapted written programs as necessary. Represents company to regulatory agencies on EHS matters
- Reviews metrics and conduct trend analysis
- Implements programs and strategy in line with/by Global Facilities and Global Security & Business Continuity plan (BCM)
- Impart knowledge and skill to team member and implement best practice across the region.
- Monitor utilities spending and drive energy/water/gas conservation initiatives and projects in the region
- Bachelors degree in safety, environmental management, and/or sustainability engineering discipline.
- Masters degree in engineering or science a plus.
- Must have thorough knowledge of federal and local EHS regulations, including OSHA and EPA.
- Professional certification: CSP, CIH, CHMM strongly recommended.
- Requires a minimum of 10+ years of experience in an environmental, health, and safety, related discipline and technical/practical knowledge of EHS regulations, codes, and guidelines.
- A minimum of 5 years supervisory experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, evaluate, and recommend controls for workplace hazards.
- Demonstrated ability to determine training needs, organize and/or conduct training.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required, including the ability to interact with outside regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer applications, including word processing, spreadsheet, and slide presentations required.
- Technical and practical knowledge of biotechnology, research and development and/or manufacturing is highly recommended, or a willingness to quickly become proficient is required.
- Ability to influence others without authority.
- Results oriented
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Anticipates needs and problems while creating solutions.
- Is curious, inquisitive, innovative, never satisfied with the status quo.
- Greets challenge and change as opportunity.
- Has courage and confidence to take risks and learn from mistakes.
- Inspires, motivates and collaborates with others.
- The ability to effectively shift priorities and work at a rapid pace required.