Position Overview: The Software Engineer designs and develops software structures for use with new and existing products. This includes accurate functional design, planning, application, installation, operation, and maintenance. Acting as a technical expertise in the product planning process, this position conducts research to solve and improve product problems and develops new methods and approaches to practical software engineering. The goal is to ensure quality, efficiency, and cost effectiveness; in accordance with company policies and procedures.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform product development and design activities to include various serial communication protocols, wireless data interfaces, electrical circuits, etc., working with customers to meet their specifications/requirements and to ensure the meeting of engineering standards.
- Redesign and maintain existing products, ensuring continuous improvement of products.
- Perform product development and design activities to include wireless data interfaces, electrical circuits, etc., working with customers to meet their specifications/requirements and to ensure the meeting of engineering standards.
- Thoroughly document design efforts from software design/requirements through testing and results documentation.
- Design software structures, graphical user interfaces, control algorithms, and associated documentation for company products and systems.
- Prepare specifications for new products for customer specific applications or per project basis.
- Develop prototypes and oversee the construction of new products or modifications to existing products.
- Develop test procedures and fixtures for product testing.
- Supply technical expertise and direction to ensure the meeting of customer requirements.
- Travel to customer sites for start-up of new products, supplying technical expertise.
- Respond to internal and external customer requests for technical information regarding company products and their application. Act as a technical resource to address and resolve inquiries or technical applications to ensure customer requirements are met.
- Act as a technical contact to facilitate the manufacture of products, and to address and resolve inquiries and problems to ensure the most cost effective methods and procedures that meet quality standards.
- Evaluate competitor products to determine technological advantages or concepts that can be applied to the organization's products.
- Conduct research to solve practical engineering problems in-depth and improve or develop new methods/approaches to product application, problems, and solutions to ensure quality, efficiency, and cost effectiveness; in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Participate on cross-functional teams to ensure the continuous, on-going improvement of processes, methods, productivity and quality, while reducing costs.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
- Maintain technical competency and remain current in technology and changes in the industry.
- Complete and maintain all required paperwork, records, documents, etc.
- Follow and comply with all safety and work rules and regulations. Maintain departmental housekeeping standards.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possess strong technical skills and the ability to be flexible and prioritize multiple projects concurrently
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, or Computer Engineering
- 1+ years of related experience
- Industrial Controls and/or Material Handling products, simulation and systems are strongly preferred
- Experience with embedded programming with microchip processor experience
About Columbus McKinnon:
We design and make material handling products and solutions, but the most important part of our business is our people. We have been a hard working company for over 140 years – proud of our heritage, where we come from, and where we're going. As Columbus McKinnon grows, so does our need for driven and inspired employees. We are publicly traded and expanding globally – to new markets, geographies, and distribution channels. Join our winning team!