BACKGROUND: The Cloud Reliability Engineering offering is an extension of Rackspace into the customer's technical team where you will be a valued member assisting them in identifying, quantifying and ultimately overcoming diverse technical challenges. Your Rackspace team will constitute your fellow Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) peers and the customer aligned service delivery team with whom you will be expected to coordinate your activities in order to provide a seamless customer experience.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITY: Act as a senior technical resource for a portfolio of Cloud Reliability Engineering customers providing both technical leadership and capable execution of assigned tasks. Actively promote and implement service efficiency, reliability, scalability and the development of automation to manage a set of repetitive tasks at scale.
- KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITY: An in depth understanding of how Cloud has transformed the way in which IT services are designed, provisioned and operated will be key to you understanding of how to guide your customers through the challenges they face. You should be able to provide strategic guidance to customers and translate their requirements into a set of deliverables and then implement these for the customer. Strong experience in one or more of: C, C++, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, or Go, and working with APIs (REST, SOAP). Deep experience working with Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, with experience working with system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols. Expertise in networking concepts, architecture, protocols, routing technologies, security approaches and resiliency. Be prepared to answer questions at all layers of the OSI model including the network services which support these. Strong expertise in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems. Familiarity with algorithms, data structures and complexity analysis. Deep experience designing complex SaaS applications for cloud reliability and scalability. Expert-level experience with any of GCP, AWS, or Azure Cloud Platforms. Deep experience with cloud infrastructure automation and CI/CD pipeline design. Competent or expert level knowledge of Infrastructure as Code (IaC) practices and one or more of the related DSLs such as Terraform, Ansible, or Chef. Expertise in operational monitoring and management tools (Prometheus, Nagios, Datadog, etc.). Strong knowledge of distributed computing threats and security control. A strong understanding of the Rackspace product portfolio is preferred. Ability to work with non-technical stakeholders and executives and provide strategic technical advice. Candidates should also be able to work with new or unfamiliar technologies, with self-training as required.
- JOB COMPLEXITY: Perform research that will allow for the optimal customer experience in advising how best to leverage any of the three leading public clouds (AWS/Azure/GCP) to most optimally serve complex environments. Work with leading-edge technology in the managed cloud space. Capture and share learnings with internal teams in service delivery and professional services.
- SUPERVISION: Determines methods and procedures on new assignments. Provides technical and thought leadership to all levels of Infrastructure Services. Mentors junior team members and assign tasks to complete client projects on time.
- EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION: High school diploma or equivalent required. Relevant certifications with regards to the Clouds in which you specialize will be highly advantageous and will be a requirement within the first 6 months.
- PERSON SPECIFICATIONS: A self-starter with excellent written & verbal communication skills, both highly technical and non-technical bearing the target audience and communication objective in mind, be they similarly skilled peers or non-technical stakeholders and executives. Ability to work in highly ambiguous environments with a diverse set of technologies. Endowed with a systematic problem solving approach, coupled with a strong sense of ownership and drive. Ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize work in order to maintain required productivity levels. The desire to continually expand knowledge of new developments and trends and a desire to share these in mentorship of your peers or to highlight opportunities to your leaders. Honesty with yourself and others is essential to building trust and understanding where your current limits may cause a disservice to your customers. Know when to escalate, defer a question, or ask for assistance. Comfortable with explaining concepts to individuals with varying technical levels.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: General office environment. Considerable stress may occur at times. Some lifting up to 20 pounds required. May require long periods sitting and viewing a computer monitor. Occasional travel may be required. No special physical demands required.
We accelerate the value of the cloud during every phase of digital transformation. By managing apps, data, security and multiple clouds, we are the best choice to help customers get to the cloud, innovate with new technologies and maximize their IT investments. We have been honored by Fortune, Forbes, Glassdoor and others as one of the best places to work. Join us on our mission to build the world's best technology services company.
More on Rackspace
Rackers aren't all alike. We look different. We think uniquely. We are from many places and our beliefs & backgrounds vary. But, being a Racker — a valued member of a winning team on an inspiring mission – is what connects us all. Rackers are encouraged to bring their whole self to work every day, as we know that unique perspectives fuel innovation and enable us to best serve our customers & communities around the globe. We welcome you to apply today and want you to know that we are committed to offering equal employment opportunity without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender reassignment or identity or expression, genetic information, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity status, military or veteran status, nationality, ethnic or national origin, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or any legally protected characteristic. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.