The main function of the Process Engineering role is to establish and maintain manufacturing processes to produce launch vehicles and related hardware to design engineering and customer requirements within the Quality Management System framework.
The successful candidate needs a broad knowledge base of all, or a combination of, circuit boards, electrical wiring, metal fabrication, and aerospace related assembly and integration processes. The work of the Process Engineer role substantially involves hands-on interaction and collaboration with Production Operations, Production Control, Quality Assurance, and Design Engineering.
This current opening may be filled at this level as posted or at one level higher.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
This role is generally responsible for Process Engineering activities of development and production Programs by applying engineering and quality procedures to support hardware requirements to assure that delivered products conform to contractual and company requirements. Working under limited general direction, performs the following:
40% - Production Operations Support
- Observe and monitor the status of Work-In-Process (WIP) periodically each work day in each work area.
- Respond to urgent and important production events in a timely manner including non-conformances, in-process approvals, and Process Plan corrections or updates.
- Provide clarification and training to Technicians and inspectors to accomplish pertinent processes.
25% - Production Operations Work Instructions
- Generate new Process Plans for new processes and products to include fabrication experiments or pilots.
- Update Process Plans to permanently include WIP corrections or updates and incorporate Design Engineering changes.
25% - Design Engineering Support
- Review and provide feedback on new product designs from a Process Engineering perspective.
- Review and provide feedback on Design Engineering Changes from a Process Engineering perspective.
- Coordinate initiation of Design Engineering Changes based on issues encountered in Production.
10% - Field Location Support
- Update and monitor launch vehicle assembly process at nearby facility.
- Update and monitor vehicle delivery system process at nearby facility.
- While responsible for the above activities, work will still be reviewed for soundness of technical judgment and overall adequacy and accuracy. Erroneous decisions or recommendations, or failure to get results will cause impact to project schedules. Contacts are primarily intra-organizational as well as with resident customer representatives.
- May be involved in interfacing with outside customer contacts infrequently on routine matters.
Requires a Bachelor's of Science in Aerospace, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering and five years of related technical experience in a Quality or Process/Manufacturing Engineering role, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
US Citizenship required. Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level (U.S. Citizenship required). Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
- Broad knowledge base of some or all of the following: circuit boards, electrical wiring, metal fabrication and/or aerospace related assembly and integration processes.
- General engineering background and knowledge of quality engineering principles.
- Ability to be self-directed for most daily activities.
- Analytical and problem solving skills to interpret and evaluate data and processes.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints technical drawings, and specifications.
- Ability to operate effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to apply and interpret geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
- Ability to use a variety of measuring and test equipment.
- Knowledge of design practices.
- Ability to use various computer systems to produce spreadsheets, reports, and data analysis.
- Lean Six Sigma experience.
- AS9100 QMS experience.
- Experience working on hardware in a Government contract environment.
- Circuit Board assembly experience.
- Cable/harness fabrication experience.