The position supports the Office of Quality and Patient Safety in the Division of Healthcare Improvement through preparation, analysis, and dissemination of division data. Tasks include de-identification of patient level data, maintaining databases, and ensuring that data is valid and reliable. This position will also facilitate the development and preparation of data reports; and analyzes the data necessary to support new initiatives and evaluate existing initiatives. This position also will manage and coordinate projects as needed.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Complete HIPAA compliance training and maintain security and confidentiality of all databases.
- Analyzes and facilitates the de-identification of data from the safety database; data cleaning, quality review and standardization.
- Provide management and oversight of the relevance, integrity, confidentiality, and usability of safety event, sentinel event and comprehensive systematic analysis databases.
- Utilizing established analytical tools, assists the Project Director – Office of Patient Safety in the aggregation and presentation of Sentinel Event data for external quarterly and internal management reports.
- Analyze, develop and provide internal and external monthly/quarterly/annual reports regarding safety issues by using qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Proactively identify risks, recommend risk mitigation and process improvement strategies.
- Analyze data trends, data outliers, and anomalies and provide routine and ad hoc reports.
- Leads and coordinates project planning by forecasting estimates for completing project tasks. Ensure deadlines and commitments are met by keeping management informed of project status. Develop work plans for assigned projects.
- Exhibits highly technical problem solving skills and resourcefulness. Analyze problems and identify innovative technical solutions. Recognize opportunities to improve applications and processes.
Knowledge, Practical Experience, and Special Skills Required:
- Bachelor's degree in a technical or statistical field (e.g., Healthcare Informatics, Analytics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, etc.) with health care or allied health care experience.
- Strong written and oral communications skills, especially in communicating business and technical information. Capable of preparing and delivering presentations.
- Interpersonal skills that can be used to effectively direct the work of other professionals. Ability to interact well with individuals at external organizations and effectively communicate technical or statistical information and specifications.
- Ability to work well as part of a team.
- Strong analysis and technical problem solving skills.
- Three to five years of technical or statistical experience working on performance measure or patient safety data.
- 2+ years of experience in business or technical environment or 2+ years of experience with performance measure, patient safety, or heath care information technology.
- Ability to work independently or as a part of a team under general supervision according to established procedures and policies.
- Additional: Ability to work in a variety of programming languages, relational databases, reporting/query tools, and software packages that The Joint Commission utilizes (e.g., SAS, MS Access, MS SQL Server, MS Visio, MS PowerBI, etc.).
- Experience working with healthcare or patient safety event data a plus.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee assigned to this position. The description is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions associated with this position.