POSITION SUMMARY Under minimal supervision, provide ongoing technical support to operations and process engineering in the area of process control strategies, configuration, and implementation. Develop, recommend, and facilitate installation and/or modification of control schemes/strategies which will improve the plant operation and profitability. Design and maintain functionality for all software and hardware associated with DCS, PLC, and data acquisition systems. Works with operations and process engineering to identify control system failures/opportunities and make necessary adjustments. Guide and train Process Control Technicians, troubleshoot problems, develop new control strategies, and provide leadership with respect to how IPNM's overall control strategy is developed and implemented.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides expert technical support of the process control hardware and software systems (PLC's, DCS, etc.)
- Provides expert technical support of the process control applications (regulatory and advanced regulatory control).
- Provides expert technical support in troubleshooting and in developing solutions for problems encountered with control systems and applications.
- Translate written specifications and business requirements into efficient, optimized control systems utilizing multiple SCADA, PLC, and DCS systems. These environments include Allen Bradley PLCs.
- Installs operating system software upgrades and program fixes; installs, configures and maintains servers and process control work stations; troubleshoots and resolves hardware, software and communications problems; performs database administration functions for both real-time and historical databases; maintains interfaces with field devices.
- Responsible for originating, engineering, specifying, and procuring material for new control equipment installations and existing control system upgrades and additions.
- Work closely with management, instrumentation technicians, electricians, environmental reporting, production personnel and mechanical maintenance disciplines.
- Responsible for development of systems documentation and implementation of disciplined change management for process control modifications.
- Provides ongoing formal and informal training to operations and maintenance staff on how to use tools and applications developed for controlling and maintaining the process.
- Assists operations in identifying root causes, provides suggestions on resolution, and assists with implementation of resolution.
- Reviews engineering drawings for new installations, makes recommendations on how to improve functionality, and reviews control hardware for functionality.
- Lead and coordinate Plant Process Control projects.
- Implement complex control systems.
- Facilitate and apply control loop tuning to optimize processes.
- Initiate and lead activities to optimize and improve plant process control systems and procedures.
- Develop detailed design requirements.
- Cultivate relationships with internal and external resources to develop and evaluate appropriate technologies.
- Lead identification and implementation of applicable technologies, methods, and tools.
- Ability to develop a project scope, standard operating procedure and bill of material for major projects.
- Strong background in management of large control system projects
- PLC/DCS experience (design, programming, and troubleshooting) with emphasis on Delta V and Allen Bradley (Rockwell Automation) systems.
- Knowledge in interfaces and protocols (Device Net, Ethernet) a plus.
- Basic understanding of data management systems.
- Understanding of field instrumentation.
- Understanding of OPC protocol. Significant knowledge of industrial control systems.
- Knowledgeable of OSHA & MSHA standards.
- Database management experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of safety, health, environmental, quality systems, and regulatory, guidelines.
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently, as part of a team, or in a leadership role.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Demonstrated ability to interact with facility employees, corporate personnel, and with outside vendors/customers.
- Proficient in basic computer skills.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- High School Diploma or GED
- Bachelor's degree (B. S.) from four-year college or university; ten plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.