The Pipeline Team Leader, Senior Manager is accountable for project delivery on new product/pipeline projects while providing leadership and guidance to team members. The pipeline projects will require leadership of the development, operational and commercial strategies to bring new products or product features to market. The Pipeline Team Leader, Senior Manager will lead the team that will take the project from concept to commercial-readiness. This includes maintaining accountability for project success, providing leadership to the team by working to define clear and realistic goals, clearing barriers to success, developing a general management view of the project and how it fits into the strategic landscape, and understanding of all the skills and tasks associated with successful project execution. This person is also responsible for supporting a collaborative environment that promotes positive teamwork where all members are working for the good of Exact Sciences. The position is the face of the project to the organization and will communicate with stakeholders, executives and lead the team through contracting with the Executive Review Committee (ERC) on project scope, timeline, and budget.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Overall accountability for project success in securing and marshalling the people, budget and other resources required to bring project from concept/early research to commercial-readiness.
- Overall accountability for project execution leveraging others (pipeline team, functions, partners and ERC); accountable for demonstrating key leadership behaviors and "leading by example".
- Aligns project expectations with ERC through contracting on project scope, key deliverables, schedule and budget.
- Represents the entire team to the organization.
- Provides leadership to the team by working to define clear, realistic goals.
- Ensures that the team works as a "team," working for the good of Exact Sciences and project.
- Provides & seeks guidance of pipeline team members on management techniques including coaching and performance feedback.
- Promotes an open, collaborative environment built on trust to foster positive teamwork.
- Helps clear barriers to team progress and resolve conflicts within the team and outside the team.
- Works with resources to select/ define the project methodology that best supports the project outcomes.
- Holds primary responsibility for interfacing with external agencies, key opinion leaders, consulting groups, advocacy groups, and other external resources
- Manages cross-functional aspects of the project including defining and negotiating resource needs, defining and managing the project strategy, budgeting, program tracking & status reporting, team leadership, etc..
- Effectively delegates to other functional pipeline team members who may or may not be direct reports.
- Develops a general management view and understanding of all the skills and tasks associated with successful project execution.
- Applies the appropriate management techniques given project-specific needs, risks and differences in pipeline team member skills.
- Corrects project resource issues, such as performance problems or availability problems.
- Leads development of the project business plan.
- Delivers the thoroughly researched, strategic insights for the project's commercial launch; ensures project commercialization readiness with a detailed plan ready to hand-off to commercial counterparts upon project completion.
- With the heavy assistance of the Project Manager, manages overall timeline, activities, team meetings, and other logistics to keep the project on track.
- Develops and executes communication plan.
- Communicates frequently with all levels of the organization including ERC members, project team members (core and extended), functional managers, commercial organization, key opinion leaders, stakeholders, and partners.
- Involves strong collaboration with R&D / product development and clinical affairs (studies and evidence generation) resources throughout project.
- Communicates with ERC members to ensure they understand issues and recommendations.
- Escalates any risk to breaking originally contracted scope, budget, and schedule.
- Demonstrated experience leading or supporting new product development in medical diagnostics space; includes experience working on product reimbursement strategies, commercial launch planning, product design strategies, clinical trial planning and regulatory strategies.
- Applies strength in performing complex analyses and the ability to present data and recommendations to a variety of audiences throughout an organization.
- Utilizes excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to convey important messages and drive focus through variety of communication methods.
- Support and comply with the company's Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance Ability to work normal schedule of Monday through Friday during normal business hours, may include nights and weekends.
- Ability to work in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
- Ability to travel approximately 30% of working time (may include international travel).
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, scientific or related field; or high school degree/general education diploma and 4 years of relevant experience in lieu of degree.
- 8+ years of experience working in team setting in the healthcare field, with demonstrated ability to effectively contribute toward team goals.
- 2+ years of professional experience in one or more areas of the following: sales, marketing, medical affairs, commercial operations, market access, research & development, clinical affairs and/or regulatory affairs.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Master's degree or post-secondary education in business or scientific field.
- Project management experience with demonstrated success of taking a project from inception through successful completion.
- Project management certification.