Join one of the nation's most comprehensive academic medical centers, University of Chicago Medicine, in a thought-driven role as Nurse Manager. Our employees deliver world-class care in an environment where opinions are respected, decision-making is rewarded, and teamwork is the order of the day. Our staff is encouraged to achieve their career goals, which in turn benefits all of our patients and the University of Chicago Medicine as a whole.
In this role, under the general direction of the Section Chief; the Physician Director for the practice; and/or the Director, the Nurse Manager is responsible for administrative and patient care activities at the University of Chicago Hospitals. The nurse manager oversees day-to-operations, including scheduling, planning, organizing, and directing all activities related to patient centered care in the unit, and handles an array of administrative duties, including recruitment and hiring; supervision; purchasing; inventory; facility, safety and equipment management. Responsible for preparing for and participating in various inspections, including the JCAHO accreditation process.
Nurse Manager Education and Experience Requirements:
- Must have a Bachelor's degree in Nursing from an accredited academic body.
- Must be a licensed Registered Nurse with a valid, unrestricted Illinois State license.
- Must have a minimum of five years' experience working in a clinical setting as a Registered Nurse.
- Experience in a nursing leadership role preferred.
- Experience working in an ambulatory setting is preferred.
- Familiarity with Epic and other UCH Information Systems is preferred.
Nurse Manager Responsibilities:
- Participates in the recruitment and selection of unit staff. Identifies recruitment needs and necessary staffing levels.
- Determines staffing needs in consultation with physician director and assures proper scheduling and utilization of services in maintaining quality patient care.
- Assists staff members in identification of learning needs and promotes staff participation in professional and institutional activities. Participates in and promotes educational opportunities for staff. Encourages staff participation in designing and attending in-service classes.
- Assesses patient acuity and plans appropriate assignments to meet patient needs for both inpatients and outpatients.
- Evaluates staff performance on a formal and informal basis. Completes annual performance evaluations and forwards to appropriate individuals. Provides recommendations for merit increases.
- Ensures that appropriate staff attend mandatory educational programs and in-services per JCAHO regulations.
- Assists in testing and evaluating new equipment, procedures and programs.
- Participates in periodic review of sectional activities needs assessment and development and prioritization of goals and objectives. Assists in the development and review of policies, procedures, and standards.
- Confers with physicians and supervisors concerning the care and treatment of individual patients. Assesses, plans, implements and evaluates patient care on a daily basis.
- Makes regular inspections to ascertain state of maintenance of the environment, including equipment, and takes required corrective action.
- Provides orientation and training of staff members in carrying out physicians' orders, seeing to the needs of patients, and developing approved nursing practices.
- Collaborates with medical director on quality assurance issues. Collaborates with medical director in collecting data for staff meetings, research, reports and evaluation.
- Promotes safety of patients and personnel by compliance with institution and regulatory agency standards and policies. Defines and organizes quality improvement initiatives.
- Assists in providing patient care and obtaining necessary documentation for a wide variety of research protocols.
- Participates in budget development, making recommendations regarding staffing, equipment, and supply issues.
- Monitors expenditures throughout the year, and takes required corrective action. Promotes cost containment programs.
- Demonstrates a cost-conscious attitude toward time and resource usage.