This position will be based at our Rochester, NY (Panorama Drive) facility. Relocation assistance is not approved for this role.
How will you make an impact?
Reporting to the Manager – Manufacturing Engineering, this position is responsible for associated activities related to molding (injection, injection blow and extrusion blow), automated machinery and equipment. This includes evaluating existing processes to reduce cost, improve sustainability and develop best practices within the production process. This position works to identify, develop and deliver innovative solutions that drive improved process capability. Support focus includes equipment design, software development, mechanical design, troubleshooting and debug, creation of documentation including operator manuals, and training of personnel. Balance between these responsibilities will vary based on department workload. This position requires an extensive background in automated manufacturing and the flexibility to move between various disciplines as needed.
What will you do?
- Drive continuous improvement by developing and implementing systems that optimize all phases of the production process while being actively involved in the development and implementation of the long-term improvement programs.
- Ability to verify plastic molded components are within the accepted process window to use automated processes for assembly.
- Interacts with molding setups & process engineering to solve component related issues & their effect on the automation process.
- Participate in new product development projects verifying new products will perform within our manufacturing processes.
- Conceptualize, develop, verify and validate engineering solutions for automated control systems that supports plant activities including: scrap reduction, customer complaint corrective action, & productivity improvements.
- Ability to evaluate & define the processes failure(s), supporting root cause analysis, and facilitating the corrective action for advanced automation systems.
- Responsible for capital project management from justification to the implementation of automated manufacturing systems. This includes the development equipment specifications & the ability to work with a wide variety of external suppliers to obtain quotations.
- Develops project plans and capital appropriations requests.
- Prepares schedules, budgets and tracks progress while keeping the internal customers informed on project status.
- Support Automation Engineering with installation of improvements & new Automation.
- Communicates effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a broad manufacturing base
- Troubleshoot & support:
- Various PLC formats with heavy emphasis on Allen-Bradley PLC/HMI hardware and software: SLC, PLC, ContolLogix, Panelview
- A wide variety of automation technologies, including: Robots, Printing (Pad/Screen/Offset/InkJet), Ultrasonic Welders, Vision Systems, Leak Testers, Labelers, Capping Equipment, reamers & other finishing equipment.
- Works with equipment vendors to solve automation problems & increase self-knowledge.
- Develop / modify procedures & training guidelines as needed for automation processes, including training of setup personnel.
- Designs, sketches & dimensions improvements to existing automation systems
- Tracks & helps maintain automation data (stops, scrap, etc.) to support continuous improvement process.
- Uses PPI tools and Lean techniques to analyze data and improve processes.
How will you get here?
- Bachelor's Degree (Engineering Discipline) with 5 years of related technical molding and/or automation experience.
- Must have a very broad electrical and mechanical background, including hands on experience with PLC's, robots, motion controls and associated programming software.
- Must have significant project management experience with automated equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Must have outstanding skills regarding: technical writing, oral and written communications and the ability to work within a team environment.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Lean Manufacturing.