Acts as a facilitator/coordinator/clinical supervisor of the staff functions within the team, and acts as a point/resource person primarily within the team. The clinical components of the position occur primarily as a functioning clinical social work supervisor. The core functions of social work include: assisting patients and families with their adjustment to illness or hospitalization; protective services for families at risk; assisting patients and families with understanding and adhering to treatment plans; and linkage to community agencies and services.
- Maintains a work environment that encourages retention, development of the team, outstanding customer services and family-centered care through leadership that establish high standards of professional behavior, develops cohesive teams, builds positive morale, and creates an environment where social workers can develop professionally
- Ensures that an adequate number of team members are scheduled to provide effective, high-quality patient care.
- Develops, implements and monitors the effectiveness of the operational procedures in the area. Responsible for organizing and facilitating team meetings. Manages complex projects. Coordinates and promotes positive staff involvement with community agencies, volunteers, donors, and other external customers. Provides systems and leadership for team members to fulfill their basic job requirements.
- Leads and coordinates staff hiring processes. Is responsible for progressive discipline of social work staff up to and including termination.
- Works with the Director of Case Management to ensures that all case managers and social workers are communicating daily to develop coordinated discharge planning on the inpatient units.
- Actively supports organizational change initiatives. Utilizes a team approach to develop collaborative relationships within area of responsibility and across Family Services to ensure compatibility of goals and objectives. Actively develops and supports liaison relationships with other teams and departments. Leads Lurie Children's and Family Services in developing an environment that addresses the social and emotional needs of patients and families.
- Facilitates timely communication between leadership. Provides Leadership to committees and encourages staff participation. Ensures adequate systems for the dissemination of information to area team. Facilitates communication and collaboration of the interdisciplinary team. Remains aware of changes occurring within the hospital and communicates pertinent information to team members as necessary. Links team to community resources.
- Serves as a resource person, clinical expert and role model. Meets regularly with direct reports to provide clinical supervision and to facilitate professional growth. Performs direct patient care and clinical responsibilities or other staff functions appropriate for the position. Works to develop teams and coordinate systems within the inpatient areas and the outpatient clinics and all of Family Services. Actively facilitates problem identification and resolution. Serves as patient care advocate.
- Leads team in improving, coordinating, and evaluating social work interventions, programming and priorities.
- Assures compliance with hospital and Family Services policies and procedures and any regulatory requirement.
- Manages variance to daily operations in coordination with the Director of Family Services.
- Collaborates with the Director of Family Services to develop, implement and monitor a fiscally-sound budget for capital and operational resources, as assigned. Immediately sets into action contingency leadership practices; rapidly matching demands and resources in emergency/urgent situations involving patients13. Facilitates the team process at the unit level to include training. Identifies and communicates needs regarding staff development. Identifies essential resources for training and education. Coordinates orientation and annual education for staff. Collaborates with team members to coordinate the patient-care areas educational activities and professional development.
- Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
- Education: Master's degree in social work from a university approved by the council for social work education.
- Job Related Experience: Experience with clinical supervision and project management required. Management experience preferred. Minimum requirement of five years of social work experience.
- Management Experience: Management experience in a social work or health care setting preferred
- Skills/ Knowledge: Ability to coordinate, integrate complex processes and relationships in a high profile role. Demonstrates leadership skills by assisting and encouraging the team to participate in identification of problems, formulation of plans, and initiation of corrective measures and follow-up to make certain suitable action was taken. Demonstrates excellent communication and interpersonal skills including strong professional boundaries. Demonstrates sound judgment and reasoning skills. Ability to think proactively, act creatively, and take initiative appropriately. Spanish language abilities and skills strongly preferred.
- Licensure: LCSW required
- Physical Demands: Stamina and energy to maintain direct patient contact on a regular basis with seriously-ill persons, to coordinate multiple demands made on time, and to fulfill on-call requirements as assigned.