The Manager of Network and Telecommunications Engineering leads a team of high performing IT professionals responsible for a primarily Extreme Networks/Avaya infrastructure providing data, voice, video, firewall, WIFI, and VPN services. The Manager is responsible for the technical architecture, design, execution and management the network infrastructure. The individual successfully leads a team of network engineers, architects and vendors while also collaborating with cybersecurity and other IT team members on testing, integration, and deployment of network systems. Monitors the network infrastructure for system performance, utilization, and compliance. The individual serves as the primary internal expert and advisor to department managers and directors on issues relating to networking essentials. He/she manages customer relations with IT clients and provides oversight for the delivery of IT services to those clients. The individual recommends updates and architectural changes to provide a forward-looking and robust network environment. He/she manages the resources under his/her area of responsibility in order to ensure that the necessary support of new systems is available. Requires strong negotiation skills and includes cost and schedule management responsibilities for multiple projects.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology or related discipline; equivalent experience may be acceptable.
- Ten Years minimum in-depth experience performing network engineering (hardware and software), network design, planning and implementing WLANs, LANs, and WANs using the latest technology.
- 6+ years of experience in related planning, analysis, configuration, installation, management and coordination work.
- Demonstrated experience working well with customers of varying levels of technical expertise in high pressure situations and complex environments.
- Demonstrated experience in managing teams and projects.
Licenses and Certifications
- Certifications Desired:
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Professional or Expert
- Systems: Windows, UNIX, Linux
- Additional certifications may be required (Avaya) in order to support higher complexity projects or issues.
In addition, this position will be responsible for employee selection/recruitment, training, mentoring, time charging review/approval, salary planning, promotion planning, recognition activities and in general, maintaining a rewarding and productive work environment for this team. Further, the position includes technical leadership and execution of assigned projects. The selected candidate must demonstrate the Full Spectrum Leadership attributes: Shape the Future, Build Effective Relationships, Energize the Team, Deliver Results, and Model Personal Excellence, Integrity and Accountability.
- Analyzes and creates solutions to extremely complex problems and relationships between integrated systems/networks.
- Provide expert level network design, administration and maintenance for the enterprise infrastructure components to include multiple data centers.
- Oversees firmware, hardware, OS upgrades, and required patch management are monitored and kept up to date.
- Develops metrics to monitor overall network performance and perform the necessary tuning.
- Ensures DR readiness is up to date and backup copies for all network components are current and available.
- Oversee the regular testing of network redundancy and failover circuit testing.
- Employs excellent analytical skills to define system network requirements and objectives for network requirements and objectives for system, network and interface maintenance or enhancement requests and communicates to clients and appropriate technical staff.
- Participates in contract negotiations with vendors.
- Reviews specifications and documentation for completeness and accuracy.
- Identifies and assigns appropriate staff resources required to realize project goals.
- Identifies, monitors and manages project risks from organizational and technical stances.