- Develop and execute audit procedures to assess the effectiveness of internal controls.
- Develop recommendations for improving internal controls, operating efficiency, and the adequacy of company records and record keeping.
- Report audit findings and recommendations based on the audit results
- Conduct follow-up reviews of financial, operational, or regulatory compliance deficiencies noted during audits.
- Assist in the creation of the annual audit plant to be presented to the Audit Committee
- Perform annual testing of the Company's internal controls over financial reporting (SOX).
- Assist external auditors in their completion of the financial statement audit and Reg. AB, HUD/GNMA and USAP compliance audits.
- Establish budgets and control project hours to meet deadlines
- Communicate audit plan and status with management
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- BS / BA required; Degree in Accounting or Finance preferred.
- 4 + years in finance/accounting/audit.
- CPA or CIA preferred.
- Financial services and public accounting experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong accounting, finance and analytical skills.
- Excellent business judgment and strong problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional communication skills, written and oral, as well as relationship building skills.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Detail-oriented, works accurately and efficiently.
- Energetic, flexible team player with the ability to adapt in a changing environment.
- Strong Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills.
- Takes initiative: identifies new ways to approach existing processes, maintains an ownership approach to problem-solving, commits to ensuring accounting best practices are in place, and regularly goes above and beyond role.