The Manager of Imaging Engineering will provide line management for engineering and scientific personnel in the Imaging Group responsible for providing SME and engineering support for x-ray screening systems and related applications. Responsible for recruiting activities including hiring and performance management of subordinate staff. Assist in the fiscal budgeting and prioritization process. Approve non-project expenditures for supplies, repair, travel and development; keeping expenditures in line with department budgets. Provide hands-on technical direction and support for product prototype evaluations, external data collections, key customer evaluations, and funded customer projects. Manages allocation and output of team to accomplish the goals and objectives of the organization.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Manage Imaging Engineering team, lab, and material resources to meet the strategy, needs and priorities of the organization as required to support effective deployment of imaging systems.
• Maintain and communicate status of projects within the management team.
• Manage internal validation demonstrations, third party testing and support customer evaluations as needed for Smiths Imaging systems to succeed in Americas and global market
• Manage projects and evaluations within allocated budget and schedules
• Provide technical and SME support to key customers (TSA, DHS, CATSA) ensuring successful demonstration and evaluation of Smiths Detection systems in partnership with project management and certification teams
• Represent Smiths Detection in meetings with key customers, at conferences/industry days, and technical interchange meetings
• Deliver inputs to proposals, data packages, test plans, and strategy documents as needed to support product sustainment and new opportunities
• Staff and execute data collection plans, internal validation testing, customer demonstration support, prototype testing, and ensure professionally documented outputs are provided in a timely manner
• Develop, manage, track, and report departmental and project budgets.
• Comply with and ensure department compliance with Company health, safety and environmental policies.
• Other duties as required.
• BS in Engineering or Scientific discipline required, advanced degree and/or management training preferred
• Minimum of 5 years in Engineering/Science role, Personnel and/or project management experience preferred
• Leadership of direct staff and technical projects.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills and experience writing technical papers/proposals, project updates, and presentation of material to internal and external customers.
• Experience creating and maintaining project budgets, schedules, and resource plans
• Demonstrated ability to initiate, execute, maintain and close complex technical projects.
• Knowledge of security and CBRNE detection space preferred
• Ability to solve complex problems.
• Ability to communicate clearly, and to facilitate communications between employees in different disciplines.
• Ability and willingness to travel to customer and other Smiths locations.
Supervises one or more of the following disciplines:
• Scientists and/or Engineers in a professional engineering setting
• Office/cubicle, engineering laboratory, manufacturing floor.