PRIMARY PURPOSE: To design, implement and support the data network infrastructure for the global enterprise. To function as the SME (Subject Matter Expert) for developing contemporary data network solutions that seamlessly integrates the internet, hybrid clouds and our internal network using emerging and cutting-edge capabilities and functionality.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Configures and installs software, servers, routers and other network devices; monitors network performance and integrity.
- Automates tasks and monitors their effectiveness.
- Performs network modeling, analysis, and planning. This includes HA/DR and resiliency planning/design/implementation as well as capacity planning and peering strategies.
- Develops mid- and long-term strategies for network platforms global and domestic.
- Works with vendors to research and understand current technologies and recommends network and data communications changes (hardware and software) to maintain a forward thinking best-in-class network.
- Leads the determination of network requirements for large changes and new implementations.
- Acts as the network liaison with networking and infrastructure vendors/partners to insure they follow network standards and guidelines.
- Acts as SME to troubleshoot and resolve complex network issues working with other technology departments/groups.
- Collaborates with technical management to architect networks that effectively reflect business needs, service-level and availability requirements, and other technology parameters.
- Partners with IT teams to define the most optimal firewall designs and insure firewall rule changes do not disrupt the network.
- Communicates the role and values of the network to the organization and presents the business case for technology investments.
- Responsible for the architecture of the global backbone and datacenter infrastructures.
- Develops appropriate literature and documentation to clearly articulate architectures.
- Acts as an advocate for the network and architectures, ensuring support and acceptance of strategy across the global engineering groups.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Supports the organization's quality program(s).
- Travels as required.
Education & Licensing
Bachelor's degree with major in Information Systems or Management from an accredited college or university preferred. Master's degree strongly preferred. Professional certification (Cisco Certified Network Professional "CCNP", Cisco Certified Design Professional "CCDP", Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert "CCIE") preferred.
Eight (8) years of related experience or equivalent combination of education or experience required to include seven (7) years of progressive experience designing, developing, implementing and supporting large/global scale enterprise networks with diverse solutions from multiple vendors. Five (5) years of the above experience in an architecture or design capacity and/or project management role is required.
Skills & Knowledge
- Solid knowledge in network administration and architecture
- Advanced knowledge of backbone and edge routing policy, engineering, and operation in a multi-transit, multi-peer environment
- Advanced knowledge of datacenter clustering technologies, load-balancing and scalable architectures
- Understanding of modern router architecture including interworking of control plane and forwarding plane, switch fabric, and egress queuing
- Expertise in designing scalable and reliable networking architecture
- Knowledge of virtualization, cloud computing, and hybrid cloud infrastructure
- Advanced problem-solving skills
- Ability to mentor other network colleagues
- Ability to perform vendor negotiations
- Good oral and written communication, including presentation skills
- PC literate, including Microsoft Office products
- Analytical and interpretive skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to meet or exceed Performance Competencies