Bodybuilding.com's Commerce team is looking for a talented and driven Engineering Manager to lead, develop and manage a team of expert software engineers. In this role, you will be responsible for managing, mentoring and leading a group of highly skilled software engineers working on the Bodybuilding.com online store and fulfillment system. For this role, we need a leader with a strong technical background and team management experience who can very effectively communicate with partners in other departments of Bodybuilding.com as well as within the team. In this role you will report to the Director of Commerce Engineering and have one or more teams of direct reports. Teams are composed of Software Engineers, Client Side Engineers, Automation Test Engineers and Manual QA testers.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Champion the architecture of large scale e-Commerce projects and help develop the technical direction
- Work closely with Designers, Front End Developers, Product Managers, and QA through the development process to create the technical vision, and road map for the team.
- Thrive on the ability to take a challenging project and delivering results.
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders and company leadership to communicate engineering complexities and promote positive interactions.
- Build strong working relationships with individual contributors in order to retain talent and ensure team member success.
- Consider testing, documentation and deployment up front and ensure all is thoroughly covered
- Work with contributors and management to establish realistic goals and ensure roadmap commitments are met.
- You'll foster a healthy and collaborative culture that embodies Bodybuilding.com's values.
- You'll ensure your team delivers extraordinary output, and continuously seeks ways to improve process.
- You'll set direction for the team, anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges via thoughtful long-term planning
- Strong communication skills dealing with large cross-functional teams about various engineering topics such as system architecture, detailed design, APIs, project schedules, etc.
- Apply a pragmatic approach to make the right trade-off choices when dealing with functional complexity, conflicting priorities and aggressive schedules.
- Ability to quickly understand the business context of product requirements and map it into a technology solution.
- Experience reviewing design and code and providing actionable feedback and follow-up on all technical topics and solutions.
- Experience coaching, mentoring and inspiring team members.
- A learning attitude to continuously improve self, team and the organization
Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or similar discipline, or relevant experience.
- 10+ years of relevant engineering experience, including 2+ years of engineering management experience.
- Demonstrated ability to architect, build and own large, complex and high performing systems
- Ability to effectively manage day to day needs of individual contributors
- Deep knowledge of software engineering practices: unit testing, configuration management, and release management
- Experience with technologies such as Spring Boot, Mongo, AWS, Docker, or related
- Experience working in a fast paced, flexible Agile development environment
- Experience developing native mobile applications is a plus
- Broad experience with various java development frameworks is a plus
- Experience with PCI and/or SOX regulated environments is a plus