We are currently seeking an Energetics Engineer (Research Scientist). This position is in West Jefferson, OH.
Battelle's Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear, and Explosives (CBRNE) Defense Business Unit is currently seeking candidates for a full time, permanent position as a Research Scientist to provide support to government and commercial programs focused on the development, evaluation, and implementation of materials, devices, and techniques designed to detect, provide protection against, and mitigate the effects of explosives, and against chemical, biological, and radiological hazards.
- Execution, data analysis, documentation, and client communication assistance on various projects involving munitions/explosives/small arms testing and evaluation.
- Assistance in the resolution/troubleshooting of technical difficulties and safety hazards involving munitions/explosives/small arms testing and evaluation.
- Assist in the design and planning of projects, potentially including technical leadership of small teams of multidisciplinary scientists and technical support staff in the performance of selected tasks/projects within time and budget constraints.
- Drafting of documentation of laboratory findings and results, including progress reports, final reports, and presentations.
- Assistance with posters, articles, and presentations for technical conferences.
- Assist with business development efforts, including cost estimation and preparation of white papers and proposals.
- Oversee, mentor and train lower-level staff.
- Domestic travel of approximately 10% of time, with some travel events lasting 1-2 weeks.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, or a related discipline.
- Approximately 7 years of experience with munitions/explosives research, development, and/or test and evaluation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Sole US citizenship, with the ability to obtain and maintain required government security clearances as a condition of employment.
- Sufficient medical fitness to work in the laboratory and in the field to perform assigned duties, including working in test chambers, test ranges, munitions bunkers, and field environments.
- The ability to work in a team environment.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Experience with modeling and simulation of explosive/energetic events
- Safe handling practices for munitions and ordnance
- Small arms handling, modification, armoring, gunsmithing
- Experience with flash X-ray and high-rate data capture (video, audio, pressure, electrical)
- Experience with leading DOD contracted efforts including DFARS, IDIQ, and OTA contracted research
- Explosives formulation, synthesis, handling and passivation, including military, commercial, and improvised explosives
- Experience with aerosol generation/measurement, sampling, characterization, air pollution analysis, and/or spray systems.