Summary – basic function of the role
In this position you will be responsible for developing control strategies for sensors, actuators, electric motors and solenoids as they relate to electromechanical engine air control systems. Furthermore you will be responsible for supporting testing and validation for these systems.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop the DFMEA and DVP&R for new product lines as they pertain to automotive electro-mechanical systems.
- Research, design, develop and test electrical components and systems for electro-mechanical automotive engine air control systems.
- Validate electro-mechanical air systems and component capabilities by developing testing methods.
- Understand complex electronic hardware and software requirements defined by customers; external and internal.
- Create schematics; develop bills of materials, research components for cost, availability, packaging and alternative approaches. Support printed circuit board layout activities.
- Operate laboratory electronic test equipment including power supplies, signal generators, frequency counters, and oscilloscopes.
- Provide assistance during initial prototype builds and support the generation of end of line testing protocols for electrical systems.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to troubleshoot and provide solutions for complex electronic issues.
- Ability to communicate professionally, within a diverse workforce.
- Must possess a mechanical aptitude and a willingness to meticulously assemble, disassemble, and modify complex electro-mechanical equipment and components.
- Must possess and apply a comprehensive knowledge of foundational engineering concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Must have demonstrated creative ability and good business and engineering decision making skills.
- Knowledge and understanding of the AIAG APQP processes.
- Understanding of OEM development, sourcing, and launch process.
- Ability/willingness to travel domestically and internationally. Travel <10%
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or a closely related technical field required.
- 8+ years of experience in electrical/controls engineering in the automotive industry. Experience in new product development preferred.
- Experience with electric motor control including, but not limited to, PID loops, PWM, and control algorithms.
- Experience with solenoid control.
- Must be knowledgeable of APQP.
- Experience with SAE J1939 required.
- Familiar with SAE J2716 SENT protocol.
- Knowledge of automotive wire harness design.
- General PCB layout and fabrication knowledge.
- Knowledge of Six Sigma experience preferred.
- Experience with LabVIEW preferred.
- Automotive tier 1 industry experience highly preferred.