The Director, Professional Relations is responsible for developing and implementing both the strategic and tactical elements of the U.S. health care provider (HCP) marketing communications plan and thought leadership strategy to support the U.S. commercialization strategy. This key marketing role works closely with senior U.S. commercial leadership and collaboratively with Medical Affairs and Clinical Development to develop and implement HCP communication strategies that will have the greatest impact in building Alder's positive reputation, thought leadership, key opinion leader (KOL) partnerships and business opportunities in the U.S. market.
This individual reports to the Vice President, Marketing and may have direct supervisory responsibility for Professional Relations Managers, Product Managers and/or Associates. This role is responsible for collaborating with multiple functional groups, including but not limited to Sales, Market Access, Business Analytics & Insights, Commercial Operations, Patient & Professional Engagement, Medical Affairs, Clinical Development, Regulatory, Corporate Communications and Legal.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Identify and Develop Commercial KOLs.
- Develop and execute U.S. HCP marketing communications and KOL thought leadership strategy which includes identification of key market issues and opportunities, critical success factors and brand strategies.
- Develop and coordinate overall strategic direction and management of advisory boards, events, tradeshows, symposia, and speaking engagements in support of HCP promotional activities.
- Plan and coordinate promotional presence at major medical congresses and symposia.
- Work collaboratively with Sales and Market Access management to ensure alignment on strategy and implementation of HCP promotional programs.
- Develop and implement marketing communications campaigns that build positive reputation, new partnerships and expand the pipeline.
- Develop external HCP communications strategies that will ensure the brand is visible and well understood across the U.S. Support Alder's participation in major trade events and industry conferences, building visibility and interest through developing communications strategies and arranging media coverage and appropriate speaking engagements.
- Work collaboratively with key thought leaders, academic institutions, and professional and patient advocacy groups to validate commercial approaches and secure launch readiness for possible new indications.
- Help develop and refine promotional messages to ensure organizational consistency, relevancy, factual accuracy, effectiveness and understanding.
- Work collaboratively with key thought leaders, academic institutions, and professional and patient advocacy groups to validate commercial approaches and secure launch readiness for possible new indications in the U.S.
- Select and manage all vendors/agencies successfully and effectively.
- Hire, inspire, align, mentor, and motivate direct reports and other brand team members.
- Demonstrate Company values on a consistent basis; act, and is accountable for others, in his/her team to act, in compliance with all laws, regulations and policies.
Location: Alder's headquarters office in Bothell, Washington
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in Marketing, Business, scientific or related field; advanced degree or MBA preferred.
- 12+ years of progressive sales and/or marketing leadership experience in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology or healthcare industry, with at least 3 years proven functional or team leadership experience.
- 5 years in U.S. pharmaceutical pre-launch and/or in-line marketing and marketing communications leadership experience preferred.
- Experience in Buy and Bill model is required.
- Experience in a leadership role within a multi-functional commercial organization is required.
- Strong, team-oriented leader with excellent communication skills and the ability to influence, lead, negotiate and work effectively at all levels within a matrix and multi-cultural environment aiming towards strategic alignment for commercial success.
- Track record and strong knowledge of successfully defining market issues and opportunities and developing successful marketing campaigns.
- Outstanding marketing acumen and business aptitude.
- Experience in successfully representing the commercial perspective during the regulatory/legal review of promotional materials.
- Ability to complete quantitative and qualitative analyses of complex strategic initiatives, including a demonstrated understanding of the tools and methodologies needed to develop assumptions for business case, market and competitive analysis, regulatory reviews, customer needs and primary/secondary research sources to support hypotheses.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills required along with strong project/process management skills.
- High degree of customer focus.
- Experience in forming and leading teams without clear reporting authority.
- Enthusiasm, confidence, ability to work on multiple tasks, problem solving ability, creativity and ability to prioritize effectively to meet personal, team and company goals.
- Strong vision to building out functional area within a fast-moving environment.
- Successful track record hiring, managing and developing staff.
- Experience in leading launch products and/or new launch indications preferred.
- Knowledge and understanding of the drug development, regulatory review and commercialization processes for specialized products is preferred.
- Travel requirement: Up to 30 – 50% including overnight stays.