The Director of Market Research will be the lead consumer storyteller with a strong ability to present high priority findings, lead all qualitative research, and an expert at making qualitative research findings actionable, contextually relevant, and compelling. He/she will partner with our data and analytics teams to incorporate their quantitative developments to compliment his/her qualitative findings; informing consumer, marketing, product, content, and overall experience development opportunities.
Essential Duties & Functions
• Establish and operationalize company-wide research methodology, ensuring all research is designed and analyzed in such a way that it is reliable and easily translatable into actionable insight.
• Work with cross functional leadership to build a research roadmap to inform business strategy and share ongoing analysis and executive summaries of consumer insights.
• Lead qualitative consumer studies and development to inform strategic planning and decision making throughout the organization.
• Partner with product and content teams to conduct qualitative research and couple it with quantitative developments to inform product and content development strategy aimed at improving customer experience and engagement.
• Work with the data and analytics team to create, maintain and optimize a Knowledge Center on all consumer data to use as a reference library for cross functional business partners.
• Collaborate with acquisition/retention, events, and marketing teams on brand health/mission tracking, equity analysis and promotional diagnostics (from concept testing to promotion performance); aiming to optimize our communications and promotions, retain customers, and attract new customers.
• Oversee the production process for the research group and all research related projects.
• Translate strategic issues into research solutions.
• Manage financial aspects of the projects including budgeting, time and expense monitoring.
• Manage staff of Research and Project Managers; evaluate performance, motivate and develop team.
Essential Job Knowledge & Skills
- 10+ years of experience in Market Research and/or Consumer Insights roles required.
- BA/BS degree required; MBA or other Master's degree preferred.
- Experience with various quantitative and qualitative research methodologies required.
- News media experience a plus.
- Excellent Project Management skills are required.
- Experience managing multiple projects in a fast-paced environment without sacrificing accuracy is a must.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deliverable dates in time while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must have experience interfacing with senior management.
- Extensive experience presenting information to diverse audiences as well as speaking effectively with key stakeholders.
- Deep understanding of how to leverage insights to inform organizational wide strategic decision making; retaining current business, and growing new forms of business through product, content, and experience offerings.
- Comprehensive understanding of UX (user experience) discipline in digital product development.
- Effective communicator with strong interpersonal relationship skills.
- Ability to interpret research results, analyze their implications for communication, and present the results (via written and stand-up presentations).
- Demonstrated ability to synthesize research findings to "tell a story" utilizing various sources of information, with action-oriented implications is critical.
- Comprehensive knowledge of a variety of quantitative and qualitative research techniques.
- Ability to lead all phases of a primary research project, including RFP development, questionnaire design, data collection management, data analysis, reporting and presentation.
- Ability to design a study; write/edit a questionnaire; design analytical plan for a study; conduct appropriate analysis and write quantitative reports/presentations.
- Excellent analytical, writing and interpersonal skills as well as strong mathematical abilities and knowledge of basic statistics required.
- Computer proficiency mandatory including in-depth knowledge of spreadsheet and graphics packages.
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time, up to entire shift, Ability to type 50+ words per minute, Ability to lift/carry up to 15 lbs as needed (such as files, folders, binders, boxes of data…).
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintain a drug-free and smoke- free workplace.