This position is accountable for all financial reporting and general accounting functions as it relates to the Support Office functions and store operations, including SEC/external reporting, fixed asset and lease accounting, month end close, monthly and quarterly management reporting, and balance sheet reconciliations. Key priorities of this role focus on developing and implementing an efficient and effective Corporate Accounting function for Sprouts, including the implementation of accounting policies, processes, systems and tools to strengthen financial reporting accuracy and efficiency. This position plays a pivotal role in automating and upgrading the Company's accounting process and systems in response to the Company's growth and increasing use of technology to manage operations. This position is based at the Sprouts Support Office in Phoenix, Arizona and manages a team of approximately 8 FTE's.
- Build and develop a talented and highly motivated team, including establishing and managing goals that are aligned with overall departmental and company objectives.
- Evaluate, develop, implement, and monitor accounting and operational policies and procedures for owned areas, with an emphasis on improving accuracy and timeliness, reducing risk and strengthening compliance; especially the reduction of manual, Excel-based activities
- Manage all quarterly and annual SEC financial reporting deliverables and deadlines
- Facilitate period-end closings by ensuring the accurate and timely completion of the Accounting Department's close-related responsibilities while focusing on strategies to drive the reduction of the close timeline.
- Review period-end entries, account reconciliations, and account analyses as it relates to all areas of the company's operations including but not limited to, cash, accruals, prepaids, fixed assets, leases, self insurance programs, payroll and G&A expenses (excludes Sales/COGS/inventory related accounts) with appropriate internal control documentation and support when required.
- Manage the fixed asset and lease accounting processes including developing and implementing more robust policies and procedures to ensure accurate financial reporting.
- Act as a key member of cross-departmental teams to improve the flow of data and reporting. Ensure information flow between financial reporting/corporate accounting teams and other internal and external partners.
- Continuously evaluate internal controls in response to changing systems/processes and work with department leadership and Controller to identify and implement necessary control changes.
- Manage External Auditors and provide internal and external auditors with requested documentation on a timely basis.
- Assist with driving change management by working with Director of Finance Systems and Projects and other key stakeholders on key system rollouts and any associated changes.
- Maintain ownership of key controls related to corporate accounts and processes.
- Strengthen and maintain relationships with both internal and external parties.
- Other projects as requested
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Physical Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- CPA designation required; MBA a plus.
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and internal controls required.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressive experience in public or private accounting with at least five (5) years' experience in a managerial role
- Proven leadership and mentoring skills, self-starter and team player
- Experience with SEC reporting and financial statement preparation, month end close, general ledger, journal entries, reconciliations, budgeting/forecasting and variance analysis required.
- Advanced competency in Excel and proficient with other Microsoft Office suite products (e.g., One Note, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience using ERP and Reporting software required, Workday Financials and Host Analytics a plus
- Experience in grocery, restaurant and/or retail industries preferred.
- Ability to lead and motivate a team in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional analytical, problem identification and problem-solving skills.
- Strong accounting principles knowledge with the initiative to remain current on accounting and other regulatory changes.
- Excellent documentation skills, research and resolution skills, data analysis
- Organized and extremely detail-oriented; ability to manage multiple projects and workstreams.
- Process oriented with a strong knowledge of applicable general ledger systems and accounting.
- Holds self and others accountable for ensuring that results are achieved; seizes opportunities to produce results without direct supervision; takes action on items beyond formal job responsibility; sets high expectations for self and others.
- Experience in the early stages of a high growth business preferred.