The Development Director (DD) plays a strategic role in KIPP DC's efforts to raise approximately $5 million annually in private philanthropy and competitive public grants. The DD's specific charge as part of the broader Development & Communications team is to cultivate and steward a portfolio of individual donors and prospects to become champions of KIPP DC.
The DD does this by: developing and implementing strategies to cultivate a portfolio of current and prospective individual donors; producing compelling donor correspondence and pitch materials; overseeing the creation of all fundraising campaign materials from message design to delivery; managing and maximizing external impact programs including the KIPP DC
Ambassador Board, Friends of KIPP DC, and an advisory council of major investors and partners; creating and executing a strong operational plan to meet fundraising and stewardship goals; managing a team of two development professionals (our senior manager of grants and foundation relations and our manager of corporate and community partnerships); and managing up to the managing director of development & communications, president, and executive director to cultivate and steward major donors.
The DD reports to the managing director of development & communications and will play a critical role in connecting individual donor motivations with KIPP DC's forthcoming capital campaign and 2025 priorities.
Donor & Programmatic Portfolio Management, Strategy and Planning (40% of time)
• Serve as KIPP DC's lead frontline fundraiser and external relationship manager and coordinate with the managing director of development & communications on institutional fundraising.
• Manage KIPP DC's portfolio of individual donors and prospects by developing and implementing a multi-year vision to help us achieve our ambitious team-wide development goals.
• Expand our donor base by building a strong prospect pipeline, conducting ongoing research to qualify, find connections to, and segment prospects, and preparing briefing documents with relevant information.
• Develop tactical cultivation plans to get in front of donors, take an opportunistic approach to meeting new supporters and growing our network, and craft compelling pitches to close high-value solicitations.
• Deepen donor relationships through stewardship plans that will increase donor renewal and upgrade rates.
• Increase the size and number of gifts from individuals through annual giving campaigns, specifically developing a marketing strategy around individual giving (e.g. Sponsor-a-Classroom/KIPP DC Leadership Circle/Beyond Z Monthly Giving Club, etc.) and pursuing small gifts from friends of KIPP DC.
• Develop and execute a strategic plan to engage our Ambassador Board and Friends of KIPP stakeholders to leverage their connections for the purposes of growing our individual giving base.
• Manage a portfolio of school-based grant initiatives.
• Work closely with KIPP DC's Marketing & Communications team to develop and refine fundraising outreach strategy and marketing materials.
Donor Cultivation and Stewardship (25% of time)
• Analyze the interests of donors and prospects to develop compelling pitches, engagement strategies, and segmented stewardship plans.
• Conduct excellent donor interactions and communications (i.e., events, meetings, newsletters).
• Direct the creation of all print, digital, and personal campaign messaging and materials.
• Maintain robust relationships with and be fully responsible for stewardship of donors who give under $100K annually.
• Develop the cultivation strategy and coordinate/upwardly-manage the stewardship of donors who give more than $50K annually.
• Prioritize key actions for the MDD, President, and Executive Director to take in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding major donors through external meetings, events, and correspondence and preparing/supporting them to execute through research, meeting briefs, emails, and calls.
• Help maintain excellent relationships with current champions, including members of our Ambassador Board, Board of Trustees, and long-time major donors.
Development Operations & Team Management (25% of time)
• Conduct management check-ins and provide oversight of two direct reports on the development team, plus any additional intern capacity.
• Serve as a thought-partner on corporate, foundation, and competitive public grant strategy and manage execution to meet individual fundraising targets.
• Oversee the operational systems required to manage a high volume of donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
• Develop and maintain systems to communicate progress to goal and strategies across the Development team and to key stakeholders.
• Participate in KIPP DC and Development team activities, including staff meetings, professional development conferences and retreats, fundraising events, and other public relations opportunities.
Analyze and Track Progress to Development Goals (10% of time)
• Analyze historical and market data to set ambitious yet feasible revenue, donor quantity, donor quality, and retention goals, and set interim benchmarks to ensure progress is made.
• Maintain accurate and up-to-date gift records and donor data to track fundraising progress to goal.
• Conduct analysis to identify what is driving and impeding progress, and work with the MDD to develop and implement solutions to address gaps.
• Bachelor's Degree required
• 5-7 years of fundraising, recruitment, or marketing experience -AND/OR- project and relationship management experiencerequired
• Experience in education preferred
• Extraordinary attention to detail, both in planning and execution
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines towards a shared long-term vision
• Results-oriented team player who is dedicated to getting the job done
• Flexibility, tenacity, high quality work, resourcefulness, teamwork, and a sense of humor
• Strong judgment and decision-making skills
• Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence, initiative, and leadership skills; management experience a plus
• Excellent writing, communication and presentation skills
• Mastery of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook
• Comfort managing and tracking donor data required; experience with Rasier's Edge, Salesforce, or a similar donor databasepreferred
• Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP DC's mission