Provides specialized knowledge, skill and competency as an expert clinical nurse specialist.
Location: Texas Medical Center
Dept.: MSB Orthopedic Surgery
Position Key Accountabilities:
1. Serves as provider of direct nursing care. Assigned area of responsibility may include medical, surgical, or rehabilitation nursing for adults and/or children, or a specific specialty area.
2. Participates and assists in evaluating nursing care requirements of patients by systematic assessment.
3. Develops, evaluates, and revises written nursing care plans based on needs and goal-centered approaches.
4. Consults with nursing, medical staff, and other disciplines to achieve patient goals. Consults with nursing staff and others to solve difficult patient care problems.
5. Assists in the development of nursing care procedures to the specific clinical area. Instrumental in effecting innovative changes to improve nursing care.
6. Makes rounds with physicians and other disciplines to keep abreast of changes and to coordinate the delivery of care. Keeps abreast of new developments in the clinical area and incorporates same in practice.
7. Plans and participates in team and multidisciplinary conferences, seminars, workshops, orientation, and in-service education programs to increase the competency of the staff. Teaches and demonstrates specific nursing care techniques.
8. Interprets and upholds nursing, hospital and ambulatory care administrative policies. Assists in evaluating own practice toward improvement of service to patients and families.
9. Communicates and works cooperatively and effectively with nursing staff. Identifies nursing problems in the specific clinical area and conducts studies and research in a systematic manner.
10. Participates as active member of nursing and/or hospital and/or ambulatory care committees or groups.
11. Prepares and submits regular and special reports as requested.
12. Responds to emergency situations.
13. Other duties as assigned.
Current Texas Licensure as a Registered Nurse
Current Texas Licensure as an APRN-CNS
Basic Life Support (BLS) certified or specialty certification as required by department
Masters degree in Nursing as Clinical Nurse Specialist.
Three years of experience and evidence of expertise and competency in clinical nursing practice.
Exerts up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 20 pounds frequently and/or up to 10 pounds constantly to move objects.
This job class may contain positions that are security sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code § 51.215