At this important moment in its history, Feeding America is seeking a Chief Network Officer ("CNO") to deepen organizational understanding of network member needs and performance drivers and leverage those insights to work in partnership with network members to strengthen performance and capacity to execute against national and local strategies.
To accomplish this, the CNO will have the responsibility of integrating and coordinating the delivery of core and customized services to members. This leader will integrate a diverse group of functions including research, innovation, consultative expert services (fundraising, operations, governance, etc.), network learning, compliance, and network analytics to provide integrated services and solutions that build capacity, optimize functionality and promote engagement and collaboration.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the CNO will serve as a member of the Feeding America Executive Team and of the National Council.
- Shape national office priorities focusing on building network capacity, optimizing performance and building deep network engagement. Deepen understanding among national office staff for network needs, challenges and realities and lead efforts to ensure there is alignment of outreach to members and coherence in the way in which our resources are deployed. Build trust and collaboration in the network including FANO and foodbank staff. Drive alignment to strategic priorities and outcomes.
- Create, market and communicate a comprehensive member services framework across all functions of the national office that supports the adoption and implementation of national strategies at a local level and deepens understanding of local needs. Provide direction and leadership to cross functional staff in the implementation and development of services to members through concept analysis, supervision and evaluation. Seek input and recommendations from staff on ways to continuously improve service to members that will improve their effectiveness and build network capacity.
- Oversee the design, development and implementation of the organization's research agenda related to food insecurity, health, nutrition, and related social and economic issues and policies with a focus on strengthening network knowledge around food insecurity and helping network members identify the most effective interventions to address food insecurity and eliminate it's root causes while deepening understanding of the client's we serve.
- Work in collaboration with the IT data team to improve network data management systems and processes and augment this data through other vehicles such as listening sessions and member satisfaction surveys. Help the national office to leverage analytics and performance benchmarking frameworks to translate data into insights about what drives high performance in key areas like food sourcing, fundraising, mobilization of the community, and organizational efficiency. Leverage insights in ways that help member food banks set new goals, identify winning strategies, connect with best practitioners and ultimately improve performance.
- Drive value to members through learning and best practice sharing within communities of practice, peer groups, learning conferences, member training, new leader onboarding and other vehicles to facilitate collaboration, best practice sharing and peer learning.
- Develop a model that supports core and customized member services and provides services to food banks based on level of need to achieve strategic outcomes. Determine appropriate cost models inclusive of annual member dues, donor support (both in‐kind and financial) and a fee for service models (where warranted).
- Oversee the Compliance function, ensuring network compliance with the member contract. Mitigate compliance risk through effective consultation and capacity building support for members. Escalate probation/suspension and termination recommendations to the COO and CEO respectively. Manage the development of member contract amendments and a new member contract when needed.
- In partnership with the SVP Legal and Governance, provide opportunities for deeper engagement with local board members to facilitate their effective governance responsibilities and deeper understanding of the value that FANO brings to the network.
- Oversee the distribution of grants to members. Continuously improve the grants management process to improve ease of application while delivering on donor stewardship commitments and maximizing impact of our/our donors' investments in the network.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies, qualities and characteristics:
Expertise in the Field
The CNO will have a successful track record of working in a senior leadership position in a food bank. S/he will have a deep understanding of key food bank functions including operations, development, programs, finance, HR and governance. This leader will have the ability to serve in a large, cross-functionally matrixed organization. By understanding the food bank network, the CNO will be able to position Feeding America for success and prioritize projects for maximum impact against the shared mission. S/he will be energized by the opportunity to revolutionize the way the national organization and member food banks work together.
Relationship Builder and Leading Through Influence
Critical to success in this role, the CNO will be skilled at quickly establishing and sustaining excellent relationships across Feeding America. The CNO will be a natural partner with a demonstrated ability to connect and build bridges. S/he will be inclusive, allowing for the building of consensus and recognition of teamwork at the national office and across the federated network of food banks. A diplomatic and supportive professional, the CNO will enhance Feeding America's culture of collaboration. S/he will rally network members around a shared vision focused on co-created strategic outcomes and shared excellence in service of Feeding America's mission and people facing hunger. S/he will be a proactive communicator with natural gravitas and the ability to lead through influence. S/he will possess the ability to manage through change with flexibility and poise.