Seeking a seasoned CPA with public company experience to lead accounting policy for Legg Mason's Financial Governance and Control team.
As Legg Mason's Accounting Policy Manager, you will monitor all new accounting developments (including items issued by the FASB, SEC, IASB and PCAOB), evaluate the effect they may have on LM and its financial statements, manage the implementation of new guidance, and update internal corporate accounting policies and controls, as appropriate.
- Research and document accounting issues (US GAAP, SEC regulations, IFRS and foreign GAAP) that may arise and provide appropriate documentation. More significant and/or judgmental matters require formal, whitepaper documentation.
- Provide assistance on certain M&A transactions, including certain valuation specifics.
- Work closely with LM's Chief Accounting Officer, other Finance members, and periodically with Affiliate Controllers.
- Provide quarterly executive level technical accounting updates on new accounting developments and issues and their impact to Legg Mason.
- Provide training on new accounting developments to Corporate and Affiliate finance staff and coordinate CPE sponsorships for Legg Mason.
- Oversee and perform more significant aspects of the quarterly variable interest entity (VIE) consolidation analysis and record and disclose VIEs as necessary.
- Oversee and perform more significant aspects of the quarterly SAB 108 analysis to evaluate errors and out of period adjustments.
- Oversee quarterly related party review and documentation.
- Coordinate and review quarterly subsidiary and consolidated accounting questionnaires.
- Review SEC filings for adherence to proper disclosure guidance (SEC and US GAAP) and review related disclosure questionnaires.
- Review statutory financial statements for LM Affiliates for consistent application of accounting policies and disclosures. Review and evaluate all local to US GAAP adjustments and accounting differences for foreign subsidiaries.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field
- CPA required
- 5-10 years' experience in Accounting
- Big 4 experience or experience working with a large, regional public company
- Extensive knowledge of US GAAP and SEC Regulations
- Collaborative and interactive in style and action, as position interacts with various business units and affiliates to meet accounting and reporting objectives
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and technical accounting skills
- Detail oriented
- Proactive and results-oriented with strong work ethic
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and be able to adapt to changing strategic priorities
- Ability to perform comfortably in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Experience with PowerPoint