DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, the Controller serves as the primary SIUC point of contact and lead for all finance and accounting functions of the SIUC. S/he will be primarily responsible for financial reporting, accounting, billing, revenue recognition, reconciliation, administration and management of a water and wastewater utility for community of Seabrook Island. The Controller manages key stakeholder relationships on behalf of Louis Berger including the SIUC Commissioners, Operations Manager, SIUC customers, auditors, and support services. The Controller performs the activities described below.
- Serves as the lead financial manager and accountant for the SIUC and manages the meter to cash life-cycle of the water and wastewater utility serving approximately 2,500 customers.
- Provides general finance and accounting expertise and guidance to the SIUC commissioners and Operations Manager. Effectively communicate daily activities, challenges or issues associated with finance and accounting operations.
- Manages and performs all accounting processes including, but not limited to, customer billing, revenue recognition, accounts receivable, accounts payable, bank reconciliations, general ledger reconciliations, etc.
- Prepares monthly financial statements and analyses for presentation to the SIUC at public meetings, e.g. balance statement, profit & loss statements, expenditure reporting, and account summaries.
- Develops, oversees and implements financial controls in accordance with policies and procedures for the SIUC.
- Address customer service requests by phone and e-mail associated with billing, e.g. late fees, overbilling, new accounts, etc.
- Serves as signatory and account representative with SIUC bank accounts and relationships.
- Provide year-end support of annual auditor requirements.
- Assist in the preparation of State governmental reports and returns as required.
- Basic data entry for financial transactions in accounting database.
- Manages relationship with utility billing software provider, vendors and other service providers for the SIUC finance and accounting operations.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, WORK EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: The following are required skills upon hire for the position:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration from an accredited university or college required.
- Minimum of 10 years of accounting and finance experience.
- Must have a working knowledge of finance and accounting systems and Microsoft applications Excel, Word, etc.).
- Experience with commercial utility billing software programs, experience with Harris SmartFusion a plus.
- Certified Public Account (CPA) not required, but considered a plus.
- Must be authorized to work in the US without company sponsorship
- Must be able to express ideas and concepts in a clear and concise manner, verbally and written.
- Ability to interact professionally with clients.
- Accounting or finance experience in utilities or industry contracting preferred.