Surgery Vascular Tech
Day (United States of America)
Chief Vascular Technologist - Albany
The Chief Technologist functions as the lead throughout the Vascular Lab. This position works closely with the Technical Director as a member of the Laboratory leadership team. This role is responsible for creating the weekly laboratory work schedule for the inpatient and outpatient clinics coverage. Work collaboratively with the clinic staff, office managers and physicians to oversee the daily clinic work flow and assign adequate staffing for coverage.
This position along with the Technical Director is responsible for aspects of lab quality specifically related to: adherence to protocols, training for new staff, maintenance of competency for all staff and ensuring the lab is compliant with IAC and JCAHO standards. Create and maintain a comprehensive orientation plan for all new staff, develop ongoing educational opportunities for current staff, work with the Technical Director to develop remediation plans for necessary staff and coordinate along with the Technical Director, the quarterly quality meetings.
• Must follow AMC policies, procedures and protocols
• Perform all the duties of a Registered Vascular Technologist including the following: performs patient assessment of signs and symptoms including documentation of patient’s medical and surgical history and presenting symptoms
• Able to independently conduct all vascular testing including but not limited to reflux studies, visceral examinations, pulse volume recordings (PVR), deep venous thrombosis (DVT) studies, carotids, bypass grafts, aortic ultrasounds, vein mappings, and dialysis access scans
• Collect and analyze ultrasound and plethysmographic data and report findings
• Perform vascular testing at various on-site locations (vascular clinic/lab, nursing units, ER, OR, etc.) and is responsible for the transportation of lab equipment to and from the various locations
• Performs vascular testing at various locations off site from the primary work location and drives to these satellite locations using personal transportation
• Responsible for loading and unloading equipment (ultrasound, PVR, etc.) using personal transportation to various satellite locations as needed
• Responsible for accurate and reproducible data collection, insure laboratory policies and protocols are followed
• Report findings of examination, in a timely manner, to physicians, hospital staff and others
• Complete necessary documentation of tests including billing CPT and ICD codes on reports for hospital and laboratory records
• Assist with the performance of clinical research protocols, including data collection and retrieval
• Responsible for appropriate teaching of students, technologists, residents and staff when necessary
• Responsible for appropriate care of PVR and imaging equipment; clean equipment (cuffs, probes, etc.) after use and keep lab equipment clean and restock supplies when necessary
• Responsible to inform Lab Director of any equipment malfunction
• Proactive approach to obtain necessary CME’s to maintain individual credentials and maintain compliance with IAC standards
• Available for backup coverage on occasional weekends, holidays and on-call to cover inpatients
• Performs other related duties as required
• Assist in interviewing and hiring of new lab employees
• Conduct new employee orientation for lab employees, review performance to ensure they are consistently meeting the IAC testing quality standards
• Assist in completion of yearly job reviews
• Demonstrate flexibility and adaptability; must be respectful of workforce diversity
• Coordinate resources with patient demands; set priorities for work assigned to achieve desired results
• Must be able to problem solve and adjust staff schedules as needed
• Be available as a resource when the Technical Director is absent
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules and procedure/protocol manuals. Ability to document required information and data on established forms.
• Ability to communicate cooperatively and effectively to patients, family members, employees and others.
• Be able to accept direction, carry out orders, to work cooperatively with others and to avoid the creation of unnecessary conflict.
• Ability to anticipate and resolve potential problems to ensure the continuity of appropriate patient care.
• Effectively communicate on a wide range of issues with patients, staff and visitors; demonstrate good judgment skills
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to probe, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with both hands and arms; and speak and hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must regularly lift/or move patients or heavy equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth vision, and the ability to focus.
• Assist with the transportation and safety of patients to and from vascular lab when necessary
• Transport ultrasound and PVR equipment to patient care areas including inpatient, ER and OR units
• Certification as a Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT) required
• Associates in sonography program in vascular technology strongly preferred
• Hold RVT III level in the Karmody Vascular Laboratory
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience, or 2 years’ experience in Karmody Vascular Laboratory plus 5 years’ experience in a general or vascular ultrasound department at an outside facility
Salary Range: $71,547.00 - $118,053.00
Thank you for your interest in Albany Medical Center!?
Albany Medical is an equal opportunity employer.
This role may require access to information considered sensitive to Albany Medical Center, its patients, affiliates, and partners, including but not limited to HIPAA Protected Health Information and other information regulated by Federal and New York State statutes. Workforce members are expected to ensure that:
Access to information is based on a “need to know” and is the minimum necessary to properly perform assigned duties. Use or disclosure shall not exceed the minimum amount of information needed to accomplish an intended purpose. Reasonable efforts, consistent with Albany Med Center policies and standards, shall be made to ensure that information is adequately protected from unauthorized access and modification.