Interested in a career with both meaning and growth? Whether your abilities are in direct patient care or one of the many other areas of healthcare administration and support, everyone at Parkland works together to fulfill our mission: the health and well-being of individuals and communities entrusted to our care. By joining Parkland, you become part of a diverse healthcare legacy that’s served our community for more than 125 years. Put your skills to work with us, seek opportunities to learn and join a talented team where patient care is more than a job. It’s our passion.
PRIMARY PURPOSE Responds to various inbound phone calls, emails, and electronic requests to assist patients, business staff, and medical staff. Schedules routine and complex appointments for all Parkland patients in a manner that ensures optimal use of providers time and patient satisfaction.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Three (3) years of customer service experience, preferably in a medical, health care and or call center.
- One (1) year of referral management and/or insurance plan identification is preferred.
Equivalent Education and/or Experience
- May have an equivalent experience to substitute for the education requirements.
- Medical Terminology Course Certificate preferred. Required Tests for Placement
- Must be able to type 20 words per minute with a maximum of 3 errors.
- Must be able to successfully pass Customer Service and Spelling tests with a minimum score of 80%.
Skills or Special Abilities
- Must be able to communicate effectively with all hospital personnel, patients and visitors.
- Must be detailed oriented.
- Must be able to solve problems within the guidelines of established policies and procedures.
- Must demonstrate a positive demeanor, good verbal and written communication skills, and a professional appearance and approach.
- Bilingual skills preferred.
1. Assists patients in various avenues of obtaining access to care such as appointment scheduling, referral processing, medication refill requests, insurance coverage updates, and/or access to electronic portals like MyChart, etc.
2. Performs registration functions, gathers data elements to include verifying patient identification, patient demographics, and all third-party funding payors.
3. Verifies patient information, updates patient demographics.
4. Maintains awareness of specialty clinic pre-clinical acceptance guidelines and scheduling instructions.
5. Ensures all entries into patient medical records are clear, concise, and in accordance with documentation standards.
6. Properly utilizes and makes updates to / from clinical recall / wait list in accordance with clinic procedures.
7. Identifies and updates patient funding information; communicates financial responsibility including co-payments and fees; completes benefit verification as required by financial classification; educates patient on financial classification process.
8. Responds to, and resolves routine inquiries, complaints and concerns through inbound phone calls, emails, and electronic requests.
9. Identifies emergent health situations based on caller information and activation appropriate response team in accordance with department procedures.
10. Maximizes personal flexibility to assist in closing scheduling gaps as needed.
11. Uses assigned desktop / laptop and any applicable hardware, software in accordance with departmental procedures and Parkland policies.
12. Stays abreast of personal performance results; maintain acceptable productivity and quality standards as established by management.
13. Participates in team building and other morale booster activities.
14. Reports to leadership or via defined reporting tool any safety concerns, policy concerns as needed.
15. Completes job required training by assigned due dates.
1. Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer satisfaction. Makes recommendations to supervisor, implements, and monitors results as appropriate in support of the overall goals of the department and Parkland.
2. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field by attending seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure. Integrates knowledge gained into current work practices.
3. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status. As part of our commitment to our patients and employees’ wellness, Parkland Health is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.