Tensar International was founded as The Netlon Group in Blackburn in 1952. In the late 1970s, Netlon’s founder, Dr Brian Mercer, invented and patented the Tensar stiff polymer geogrid, now used worldwide. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s, the company developed, refined and researched Tensar uniaxial and biaxial geogrids, and expanded the range of construction applications where geogrids and associated geosynthetics could successfully be used. Tensar Corporation in the US was initially formed in 1983 as a joint venture between Gulf Canada Limited, Netlon Limited and Dr Brian Mercer. In 1988, senior executives of the joint venture in the U.S. purchased the business and managed and operated the entity through 2000. At that time the business was sold to a private equity investment firm. The Company was purchased in 2005 by another private equity firm located in Atlanta.