Nanyang University (Chinese: ????, abbreviated Nantah, ??) was a university in Singapore from 1956 to 1980. During its existence, it was Singapores only Chinese language post-secondary institution. In 1980, Nanyang University was merged with the University of Singapore to form the National University of Singapore (NUS). The idea of a Chinese university in Singapore to provide higher education to the Chinese community was first mooted by Tan Lark Sye in 1953, then chairman of the Singapore Hokkien Association. A fund was set up for this purpose, drawing donations from people of all walks of life and with Tan himself donating $5 million. The Singapore Hokkien Association donated 500 acres (2 km²) in the western Jurong area, which was then largely undeveloped rural land. Nanyang University started classes on 15 March 1956, offering courses in the arts, sciences and commerce. Construction of the entire campus was not completed until two years later. In 1958 the university held its official opening ceremony, officiated by Tan and then-Governor William Goode.