Mid-Columbia Medical Center (MCMC) is a hospital complex in The Dalles, Oregon. In June 1992, Mid-Columbia Medical Center became the first hospital in the world to implement the Planetree concept of patient-centered care facility wide[verification needed] and in 2007 the hospital was recognised as a "Designated Patient-Centered Hospital", one of five such hospitals in the country. The Mid-Columbia Medical Center Heliport is located one mile northwest of The Dalles in Wasco County, Oregon. The original hospital in The Dalles was started in 1901 by pioneer doctors, Dr. Belle Cooper Rinehart and Dr. Mary Powell Johnson in the Rinehart family home. Dr. Belle was the widow of a physician and mother of four young boys when she had her mother move in to care for her children and she began studying medicine. She graduated from medical school in 1897 and set up her practice near the location of The Dalles Clinic building on East 7th Street. Belle Cooper Rinehart Ferguson gave high praise to her mother, "…whose encouragement, intelligence and ability imparted strength and determination." Two of Belles sons became physicians. In 1903, Dr. Belle Cooper Rinehart married Dr. Elmer Ferguson. They expanded their home and enlarged the hospital, which came to be known as The Dalles Hospital. Dr. John Reuter became their partner in their practice and hospital. Other hospital expansions occurred in 1912 and 1937. They had an approximate 20-bed capacity. When World War II caused a shortage of nurses, The Dalles General Hospital opened a nursing school. Doctors served as nursing instructors until the school closed in 1951.