The Lansing Board of Water and Light is a publicly owned, municipal utility that provides electricity and water to the residents of the cities of Lansing and East Lansing, Michigan, and the surrounding townships of Delta, Delhi, Meridian and DeWitt. The Lansing Board of Water and Light also provides steam and chilled water services within the City of Lansing. The Lansing Board of Water and Light is a municipal utility, owned by the citizens of Lansing, Michigan. The utilitys roots go back to 1885, when Lansing citizens approved a $100,000 bond issue to build a water system to provide for drinking water and fire protection. Electricity was added to its list of utility services in 1892, and steam heat in 1919. The Lansing Board of Water and Light has an electric generating capacity of 510 megawatts. The LBWLs transmission line voltage is 138,000 volts. The LBWLs distribution voltages are 13,200 volts, 8,320 volts and 4,160 volts.