The Kingston General Hospital (KGH) is an acute-care teaching hospital affiliated with Queens University located in Kingston, Ontario. Along with Hotel Dieu Hospital and Providence Care, the hospital is a partner within Kingstons university hospitals in the Southeast LHIN, delivering health care, conducting research and training health care professionals. KGH is oldest public hospital in Canada still in operation with most of its buildings intact. Architecturally reflecting the evolution of health care in the 19th and 20th centuries, KGH was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1995. In 1832 an Act of Parliament named a commission to "superintend and manage the erection and completion of a hospital in or near the town of Kingston". In 1835 the first building was completed on the site where KGH stands today, on land purchased from Archdeacon George O'Kill Stuart. The building, designed to accommodate 72 patients, remained unoccupied until three years later when the city had the money to purchase equipment and furnishings. In 1838 the hospital briefly housed its first patients, twenty wounded Americans taken prisoner in the Battle of the Windmill during the Rebellion of 1837.